RE: Page scrolling

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Steven Cheng[MSFT], Feb 11, 2004.

  1. Hi Peter,

    Thanks for posting in the community!
    From your description, you'd like to scroll a page which is outof the
    screen size and you don't want to scroll via scrolling the left and top
    side of a certain table?

    I've tested and run the application you provided. As for this problem, I'd
    like to confirm some further things:
    1. Does the page which is out of screen you mentioned the page
    "Mentor.aspx"? I've run it on my side under both "1024 X 768" and "800 X
    600" mode. The page is exactly ok in width and somewhat larger in height.
    When in 800X 600, the page is out of screen and both the Vertical and
    Horizontal scroll bar occurs. So I can scroll the page to view the further
    area via scrolling the scroll bar. So does the problem you encountered is
    about this? If so, would you please provide more infos on your requirement?

    2. As for the web page design, It is recommended that we made the page's
    size not too large for most common screen setting , such as 800 X 600.
    Especially in the Width, its better to set is no larger than 800 I think.
    And here are some web tech articles discussing the page size design:

    #Determining the proper length for any particular World Wide Web
    http://info.med.yale.edu/caim/manual2/pages/page_length.html

    #Bad Design Features
    http://www.ratz.com/featuresbad.html

    #Common page layout
    http://dsv.su.se/jpalme/layout/

    Please check out my suggestions and feel free to post here if anything
    unclear.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey
    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Feb 11, 2004

  2. Hi Peter,

    Thanks for your followup and the further information you provide. Based on
    your further description and the pages you provided, I think what you need
    is to use a frame based pages structure, put the large page content in a
    <Iframe> tag or using <frameset> <frame> structure to gerneate your pages.
    Also, since you your page's structure is abit too complex, I'm not very
    sure on your page structure, so I made some new sample pages and
    UserControls to show my suggestions. Please check out the pages attached in
    this message.

    In addtion, here are some web link of some tech reference on using <frame>
    or <iframe> to control pages strucuture in web page design:

    #Frames
    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/present/frames.html

    #IFRAME Element | iframe Object
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/dhtml/ref
    erence/objects/iframe.asp

    #Iframes Tutorial
    http://komettails.hamha.net/index.php?link=iframetut

    #Page Design ---- Frames
    http://www.webstyleguide.com/page/frames.html

    Please check out the preceding suggestions. If you have any questions,
    please feel free to post here.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Feb 12, 2004