RE: Page_Load not fired when window.open used to load window.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT], Jul 4, 2003.

  1. Hello John,

    Did you mean that the problem only happens after you upgrade to VS 2003 and
    framework 1.1? Does the problem exist in VS 2002 and framework 1.0? After
    getting your response, I will try to test it on my side. If I could repro
    it, I will file this problem to our product team. Thanks very much for
    your feedback.

    Best regards,
    yhhuang
    VS.NET, Visual C++
    Microsoft

    Got .Net? http://www.gotdotnet.com
    --------------------
    !From: "John Clark" <>
    !Subject: Page_Load not fired when window.open used to load window.
    !Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 11:45:28 -0500
    !Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    !
    !I am experiencing an unexpected problem using javascript + dhtml
    window.open
    !to invoke an aspx page.
    !
    !This is occuring in VS 2003 with CLR 1.1.
    !
    !Code is window.open("target.aspx","_blank");
    !
    !The page_load is called normally when I browse to the page target.aspx.
    !However, it is not called when the page is invoked by window.open.
    !
    !I have been using this technique for several generations of this code.
    !
    !Any help would be appreciated.
    !
    !John
    !
    !
    !

    Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT], Jul 4, 2003

  2. Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT]

    John Clark Guest

    The particular set of code I am testing was never used on VS 2002.
    However, I am using the technique in several areas of this application.

    Here's some more information...

    WebPage1.aspx contains (among other elements) an IFrame in which a set
    of HTML code is loaded. The javascript resides in the HTML code.

    Version 1 of the javascript opens the window and loads an off-site page.
    This always works.

    Version 2 (the failing version) invokes WebPage2.aspx which is designed
    to use Page_Load to log the activity and redirect to the off-site page.
    WebPage2.aspx is invoked but the Page_Load routine is not accessed.

    On the other hand when I browse to WebPage2.aspx the Page_Load routine
    is invoked normally.

    John Clark, Jul 4, 2003

  3. Hello John,

    Could you please email me the script that your used to invokes
    webpage2.aspx and the page_load code of webpage2.aspx? Please extract only
    the useful codes which could reproduce the problem. I will test it on my
    side as soon as possible and reply you here.

    Please remove online from my email address to email to me. Thanks very
    much.

    Best regards,
    yhhuang
    VS.NET, Visual C++
    Microsoft

    Got .Net? http://www.gotdotnet.com
    --------------------
    !From: John Clark <>
    !Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    !Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 04:58:13 -0700
    !
    !
[...]
    !*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com ***
    !Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!
    !

    Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT], Jul 7, 2003
  4. Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT]

    Bill B Guest

    I am seeing very similar behaviour to this. I can open a popup window
    using window.open() and the Page_Load is called. But if I close the
    window using the X button from the title bar, the next time I call
    window.open() on it, the Page_Load is not called, and a cached version
    of the page is displayed. If I close the window using my own close
    button that calls javascript:windowClose(), the next time I call
    window.open() on the window, the Page_Load is called properly.

    Bill B, Jul 9, 2003
  5. Hello John,

    If you are still monitoring this issue, could you please post another note to let me know you are still there? I need a detailied
    repro sample to test first.

    Thanks.

    Best regards,
    yhhuang
    VS.NET, Visual C++
    Microsoft

    Got .Net? http://www.gotdotnet.com
    --------------------
    !From: (Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT])
    !Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 09:02:20 GMT
    !Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    !
    !Hello John,
    !
    !Could you please email me the script that your used to invokes
    !webpage2.aspx and the page_load code of webpage2.aspx? Please extract only
    !the useful codes which could reproduce the problem. I will test it on my
    !side as soon as possible and reply you here.
    !
    !Please remove online from my email address to email to me. Thanks very
    !much.
    !
    !Best regards,
    !yhhuang
    !VS.NET, Visual C++
    !Microsoft
    !
    !This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    !Got .Net? http://www.gotdotnet.com
    !--------------------
    !!From: John Clark <>
    !!Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    !!Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 04:58:13 -0700
    !!
    !!

    Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT], Jul 11, 2003
  6. Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT]

    John Clark Guest

    This remains an outstanding issue. I have just returned to my office
    this morning and will provide some detail as soon as possible. That will
    probably be this weekend since I have to catch up with the activity
    around here.

    Thanks,

    John

    John Clark, Jul 11, 2003
  7. Hi John,

    I didn't see that repro sample yet. I think you should be busy with business now. Anyway when you have time, you could post
    here or in a new thread. Thanks.

    Best regards,
    Yanhong Huang
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    !From: (Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT])
    !Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 09:22:01 GMT
    !Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    !
    !Hi John,
    !
    !Thanks very much. I look forward to your response.
    !
    !Best regards,
    !yhhuang
    !VS.NET, Visual C++
    !Microsoft
    !
    !This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    !Got .Net? http://www.gotdotnet.com
    !!From: John Clark <>
    !!Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    !!Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 04:28:03 -0700