Re: Parallelization with Python: which, where, how?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jp Calderone, Dec 21, 2004.

  1. Jp Calderone

    Jp Calderone Guest

    On 21 Dec 2004 05:04:36 -0800, Mike M?ller <> wrote:
    >> Can someone recommend a parallelization approach? Are there examples or
    > > documentation? Has someone got experience with stability and efficiency?

    > I am successfully using pyro http://pyro.sourceforge.net for my
    > parallelization task (8 node Linux cluster, embarrassing parallel).
    > It comes with a good documentation and it is easy to use. It works on
    > clusters as well as on heterogeneous networks. You just need to start
    > a server on each cluster node (e.g. rsh node1 startserver.py). You
    > also need a name server running (maybe on your master node). Then a
    > client can just asks a server to calculate and gets some result back.
    > You can also send an object that calculates on the server and comes
    > back including the result.
    >
    > There are some examples included in the documentation you can start
    > with and just change the parts that are specific to your application.
    >
    > It is easy to understand and use and has been working well for me for
    > more than 2 years.

    How have you chosen to deal with the security implications?

    Jp

    Jp Calderone, Dec 21, 2004

  2. Jp Calderone wrote:
    > On 21 Dec 2004 05:04:36 -0800, Mike M?ller <> wrote:
    >
    >>>Can someone recommend a parallelization approach? Are there examples or
    >>>documentation? Has someone got experience with stability and efficiency?

    >>I am successfully using pyro http://pyro.sourceforge.net for my
    >>parallelization task (8 node Linux cluster, embarrassing parallel).

    [...]

    > How have you chosen to deal with the security implications?
    >
    > Jp

    Some more background on this:
    Pyro uses the highly efficient internal pickling mechanism to
    transport its data around, but that protocol is insecure.
    You can choose to use a different, secure, serialization protocol.
    More info is here: http://pyro.sourceforge.net/manual/9-security.html#pickle

    There are a few other security issues to be aware of, they're
    described in the same chapter.

    --Irmen

    Irmen de Jong, Dec 21, 2004