Re: paramiko

Discussion in 'Python' started by Guilherme Polo, Jan 16, 2008.

  1. 2008/1/16, Tarun Kapoor <>:

    > I am using paramiko to do an SFTP file transfer… I was able to connect to
    > the remote server using an SFTP client I have just to make sure that
    > username and password are working.. This is the code.
    >

    > # now, connect and use paramiko Transport to negotiate SSH2 across the
    > connection
    >
    > sock = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)
    >
    > sock.connect((hostname, port))
    >

    > t = paramiko.Transport(sock)
    >
    > event = threading.Event()
    >
    > t.start_client(event)
    >

    > event.wait(15)
    >

    > if not t.is_active():
    >
    > print 'SSH negotiation failed.'
    >
    > sys.exit(1)
    >
    > else:
    >
    > print "SSH negotiation sucessful"
    >

    > event.clear()
    >

    > t.auth_password(username=username, password=password,event=event)
    >

    > if not t.is_authenticated():
    >
    > print "not authenticated"
    >
    > output:
    >
    > SSH negotiation successful
    >
    > not authenticated
    >

    > Tarun
    >

    > Waterstone Capital Management
    >
    > 2 Carlson Parkway, Suite 260
    >
    > Plymouth, MN 55447
    >

    > Direct: 952-697-4123
    >
    > Cell: 612-205-2587
    > Disclaimer This e-mail and any attachments is confidential and intended
    > solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed. Any views
    > or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
    > represent those of Waterstone Capital Management, L.P and affiliates. If you
    > are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this
    > e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination, printing, forwarding or
    > copying of this email is strictly prohibited. Please contact the sender if
    > you have received this e-mail in error. You should also be aware that
    > e-mails are susceptible to interference and you should not assume that the
    > contents of this e-mail originated from the sender above or that they have
    > been accurately reproduced in their original form. Waterstone Capital
    > Management, L.P. and affiliates accepts no responsibility for information,
    > or errors or omissions in this e-mail or use or misuse thereof. If in doubt,
    > please verify the authenticity with the sender.

    You are missing an event.wait() after t.auth_password.
    Also, why are you passing this magic value "15" to event.wait() ? That
    parameter is passed to class _Verbose to indicate if debug messages
    should be displayed or not, so typical values would be 0/1 or
    False/True.

    --
    -- Guilherme H. Polo Goncalves
    Guilherme Polo, Jan 16, 2008

  2. Guilherme Polo

    Tarun Kapoor Guest

    # now, connect and use paramiko Transport to negotiate SSH2 across
    the connection
    sock = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)
    sock.connect((hostname, port))

    t = paramiko.Transport(sock)
    t.start_client()
    key = t.get_remote_server_key()

    event = threading.Event()
    t.auth_password(username=username, password=password, event=event)
    event.wait()

    if not t.is_authenticated():
    print "not authenticated"

    output:
    not authenticated

    Tarun Kapoor, Jan 16, 2008

  3. 2008/1/16, Tarun Kapoor <>:
    > # now, connect and use paramiko Transport to negotiate SSH2 across
    > the connection
    > sock = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)
    > sock.connect((hostname, port))
    >
    > t = paramiko.Transport(sock)
    > t.start_client()
    > key = t.get_remote_server_key()
    >
    > event = threading.Event()
    > t.auth_password(username=username, password=password, event=event)
    > event.wait()
    >
    > if not t.is_authenticated():
    > print "not authenticated"
    >
    > output:
    > not authenticated

    This is a different problem I guess, now you are usin get_remote_server_key.
    And why are you creating event after calling start_client without
    specifying it ?

    > On Jan 16, 11:11 am, "Guilherme Polo" <> wrote:
    > > 2008/1/16, Tarun Kapoor <>:
    > >

    > > > I am using paramiko to do an SFTP file transfer... I was able to connect to
    > > > the remote server using an SFTP client I have just to make sure that
    > > > username and password are working.. This is the code.

    > > > # now, connect and use paramiko Transport to negotiate SSH2 across the
    > > > connection

    > > > sock = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)

    > > > sock.connect((hostname, port))

    > > > t = paramiko.Transport(sock)

    > > > event = threading.Event()

    > > > t.start_client(event)

    > > > event.wait(15)

    > > > if not t.is_active():

    > > > print 'SSH negotiation failed.'

    > > > sys.exit(1)

    > > > else:

    > > > print "SSH negotiation sucessful"

    > > > event.clear()

    > > > t.auth_password(username=username, password=password,event=event)

    > > > if not t.is_authenticated():

    > > > print "not authenticated"

    > > > output:

    > > > SSH negotiation successful

    > > > not authenticated

    > > > Tarun

    > > > Waterstone Capital Management

    > > > 2 Carlson Parkway, Suite 260

    > > > Plymouth, MN 55447

    > > > Direct: 952-697-4123

    > > > Cell: 612-205-2587
    > > > Disclaimer This e-mail and any attachments is confidential and intended
    > > > solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed. Any views
    > > > or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
    > > > represent those of Waterstone Capital Management, L.P and affiliates. If you
    > > > are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this
    > > > e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination, printing, forwarding or
    > > > copying of this email is strictly prohibited. Please contact the sender if
    > > > you have received this e-mail in error. You should also be aware that
    > > > e-mails are susceptible to interference and you should not assume that the
    > > > contents of this e-mail originated from the sender above or that they have
    > > > been accurately reproduced in their original form. Waterstone Capital
    > > > Management, L.P. and affiliates accepts no responsibility for information,
    > > > or errors or omissions in this e-mail or use or misuse thereof. If in doubt,
    > > > please verify the authenticity with the sender.
    > > > --

    > > You are missing an event.wait() after t.auth_password.
    > > Also, why are you passing this magic value "15" to event.wait() ? That
    > > parameter is passed to class _Verbose to indicate if debug messages
    > > should be displayed or not, so typical values would be 0/1 or
    > > False/True.
    > >
    > > --
    > > -- Guilherme H. Polo Goncalves

    -- Guilherme H. Polo Goncalves
    Guilherme Polo, Jan 16, 2008
  4. Guilherme Polo

    Tarun Kapoor Guest

    On Jan 16, 11:38 am, "Guilherme Polo" <> wrote:
    > 2008/1/16, Tarun Kapoor <>:
    >

    > > # now, connect and use paramiko Transport to negotiate SSH2 across
    > > the connection
    > > sock = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)
    > > sock.connect((hostname, port))

    > > t = paramiko.Transport(sock)
    > > t.start_client()
    > > key = t.get_remote_server_key()

    > > event = threading.Event()
    > > t.auth_password(username=username, password=password, event=event)
    > > event.wait()

    > > if not t.is_authenticated():
    > > print "not authenticated"

    > > output:
    > > not authenticated

    > This is a different problem I guess, now you are usin get_remote_server_key.
    > And why are you creating event after calling start_client without
    > specifying it ?

    > > > You are missing an event.wait() after t.auth_password.
    > > > Also, why are you passing this magic value "15" to event.wait() ? That
    > > > parameter is passed to class _Verbose to indicate if debug messages
    > > > should be displayed or not, so typical values would be 0/1 or
    > > > False/True.

    > > > --
    > > > -- Guilherme H. Polo Goncalves

    > > --

    > -- Guilherme H. Polo Goncalves

    ok here is the problem... I don't know what is the correct way... The
    only demos i have from the paramiko library use a hostkeyfile. since i
    don't have that i thought i would use the get_remote_key to get the
    key and then connect it using the code in the demo.. But clearly
    nothing is working...I should not HAVE to use the key since i should
    be able to authenticate using the password...

    Can you please suggest the right way to go ?

    Thanks for your time !
    Tarun Kapoor, Jan 16, 2008
  5. 2008/1/16, Tarun Kapoor <>:
    > On Jan 16, 11:38 am, "Guilherme Polo" <> wrote:
    > > 2008/1/16, Tarun Kapoor <>:
    > >

    > > > # now, connect and use paramiko Transport to negotiate SSH2 across
    > > > the connection
    > > > sock = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)
    > > > sock.connect((hostname, port))

    > > > t = paramiko.Transport(sock)
    > > > t.start_client()
    > > > key = t.get_remote_server_key()

    > > > event = threading.Event()
    > > > t.auth_password(username=username, password=password, event=event)
    > > > event.wait()

    > > > if not t.is_authenticated():
    > > > print "not authenticated"

    > > > output:
    > > > not authenticated

    > > This is a different problem I guess, now you are usin get_remote_server_key.
    > > And why are you creating event after calling start_client without
    > > specifying it ?

    > > > --

    > > --
    > > -- Guilherme H. Polo Goncalves

    > ok here is the problem... I don't know what is the correct way... The
    > only demos i have from the paramiko library use a hostkeyfile. since i
    > don't have that i thought i would use the get_remote_key to get the
    > key and then connect it using the code in the demo.. But clearly
    > nothing is working...I should not HAVE to use the key since i should
    > be able to authenticate using the password...
    >
    > Can you please suggest the right way to go ?

    You don't need to use key to authenticate using username and password,
    indeed. And you don't. Your first email was almost correct, you just
    needed to add event.wait() after t.auth_password. It worked here after
    doing that change. You can check out my version:

    import sys
    import socket
    import paramiko
    import threading

    if len(sys.argv) != 4:
    print "%s hostname user password" % sys.argv[0]
    sys.exit(1)

    sock = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)
    sock.connect((sys.argv[1], 22))

    t = paramiko.Transport(sock)
    event = threading.Event()
    t.start_client(event)

    event.wait()

    if not t.is_active():
    print 'SSH negotiation failed.'
    sys.exit(1)
    else:
    print "SSH negotiation sucessful"

    event.clear()
    t.auth_password(username=sys.argv[2], password=sys.argv[3], event=event)
    event.wait()
    if not t.is_authenticated():
    print "Authentication failed."
    else:
    print "Authenticated!"

    t.close()

    > Thanks for your time !

    -- Guilherme H. Polo Goncalves
    Guilherme Polo, Jan 16, 2008
  6. Guilherme Polo

    Tarun Kapoor Guest

    On Jan 16, 12:22 pm, "Guilherme Polo" <> wrote:
    > 2008/1/16, Tarun Kapoor <>:

    > > > This is a different problem I guess, now you are usin get_remote_server_key.
    > > > And why are you creating event after calling start_client without
    > > > specifying it ?

    > > > --
    > > > -- Guilherme H. Polo Goncalves

    > > ok here is the problem... I don't know what is the correct way... The
    > > only demos i have from the paramiko library use a hostkeyfile. since i
    > > don't have that i thought i would use the get_remote_key to get the
    > > key and then connect it using the code in the demo.. But clearly
    > > nothing is working...I should not HAVE to use the key since i should
    > > be able to authenticate using the password...

    > > Can you please suggest the right way to go ?

    > You don't need to use key to authenticate using username and password,
    > indeed. And you don't. Your first email was almost correct, you just
    > needed to add event.wait() after t.auth_password. It worked here after
    > doing that change. You can check out my version:
    >
    > import sys
    > import socket
    > import paramiko
    > import threading
    >
    > if len(sys.argv) != 4:
    > print "%s hostname user password" % sys.argv[0]
    > sys.exit(1)
    >
    > sock = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)
    > sock.connect((sys.argv[1], 22))
    >
    > t = paramiko.Transport(sock)
    > event = threading.Event()
    > t.start_client(event)
    >
    > event.wait()
    >
    > if not t.is_active():
    > print 'SSH negotiation failed.'
    > sys.exit(1)
    > else:
    > print "SSH negotiation sucessful"
    >
    > event.clear()
    > t.auth_password(username=sys.argv[2], password=sys.argv[3], event=event)
    > event.wait()
    > if not t.is_authenticated():
    > print "Authentication failed."
    > else:
    > print "Authenticated!"
    >
    > t.close()
    >

    > > Thanks for your time !
    > > --

    > -- Guilherme H. Polo Goncalves

    ok i tried the exact same code and here is the output
    SSH negotiation sucessful
    Authentication failed.

    I am positive that the username and paddword are correct. !
    Tarun Kapoor, Jan 16, 2008
  7. 2008/1/16, Tarun Kapoor <>:
    > On Jan 16, 12:22 pm, "Guilherme Polo" <> wrote:

    > > > ok here is the problem... I don't know what is the correct way... The
    > > > only demos i have from the paramiko library use a hostkeyfile. since i
    > > > don't have that i thought i would use the get_remote_key to get the
    > > > key and then connect it using the code in the demo.. But clearly
    > > > nothing is working...I should not HAVE to use the key since i should
    > > > be able to authenticate using the password...

    > > > Can you please suggest the right way to go ?

    > > You don't need to use key to authenticate using username and password,
    > > indeed. And you don't. Your first email was almost correct, you just
    > > needed to add event.wait() after t.auth_password. It worked here after
    > > doing that change. You can check out my version:
    > >
    > > import sys
    > > import socket
    > > import paramiko
    > > import threading
    > >
    > > if len(sys.argv) != 4:
    > > print "%s hostname user password" % sys.argv[0]
    > > sys.exit(1)
    > >
    > > sock = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)
    > > sock.connect((sys.argv[1], 22))
    > >
    > > t = paramiko.Transport(sock)
    > > event = threading.Event()
    > > t.start_client(event)
    > >
    > > event.wait()
    > >
    > > if not t.is_active():
    > > print 'SSH negotiation failed.'
    > > sys.exit(1)
    > > else:
    > > print "SSH negotiation sucessful"
    > >
    > > event.clear()
    > > t.auth_password(username=sys.argv[2], password=sys.argv[3], event=event)
    > > event.wait()
    > > if not t.is_authenticated():
    > > print "Authentication failed."
    > > else:
    > > print "Authenticated!"
    > >
    > > t.close()
    > >

    > > > Thanks for your time !
    > > > --

    > > --
    > > -- Guilherme H. Polo Goncalves

    > ok i tried the exact same code and here is the output
    > SSH negotiation sucessful
    > Authentication failed.
    >

    > I am positive that the username and paddword are correct. !

    I believe paramiko supports only ssh2, so be sure to check if your
    server is not running ssh1.

    -- Guilherme H. Polo Goncalves
    Guilherme Polo, Jan 16, 2008
  8. Guilherme Polo

    Tarun Kapoor Guest

    On Jan 16, 1:56 pm, "Guilherme Polo" <> wrote:
    > 2008/1/16, Tarun Kapoor <>:

    > > > You don't need to use key to authenticate using username and password,
    > > > indeed. And you don't. Your first email was almost correct, you just
    > > > needed to add event.wait() after t.auth_password. It worked here after
    > > > doing that change. You can check out my version:

    > > > import sys
    > > > import socket
    > > > import paramiko
    > > > import threading

    > > > if len(sys.argv) != 4:
    > > > print "%s hostname user password" % sys.argv[0]
    > > > sys.exit(1)

    > > > sock = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)
    > > > sock.connect((sys.argv[1], 22))

    > > > t = paramiko.Transport(sock)
    > > > event = threading.Event()
    > > > t.start_client(event)

    > > > event.wait()

    > > > if not t.is_active():
    > > > print 'SSH negotiation failed.'
    > > > sys.exit(1)
    > > > else:
    > > > print "SSH negotiation sucessful"

    > > > event.clear()
    > > > t.auth_password(username=sys.argv[2], password=sys.argv[3], event=event)
    > > > event.wait()
    > > > if not t.is_authenticated():
    > > > print "Authentication failed."
    > > > else:
    > > > print "Authenticated!"

    > > > t.close()

    > > > --
    > > > -- Guilherme H. Polo Goncalves

    > > ok i tried the exact same code and here is the output
    > > SSH negotiation sucessful
    > > Authentication failed.

    > > I am positive that the username and paddword are correct. !

    > I believe paramiko supports only ssh2, so be sure to check if your
    > server is not running ssh1.
    >
    > > --

    > -- Guilherme H. Polo Goncalves

    The server is running SSH2.
    Can you think of any other ideas to troubleshoot ?
    Tarun Kapoor, Jan 16, 2008
  9. 2008/1/16, Tarun Kapoor <>:
    > On Jan 16, 1:56 pm, "Guilherme Polo" <> wrote:

    > > > ok i tried the exact same code and here is the output
    > > > SSH negotiation sucessful
    > > > Authentication failed.

    > > > I am positive that the username and paddword are correct. !

    > > I believe paramiko supports only ssh2, so be sure to check if your
    > > server is not running ssh1.
    > >
    > > > --

    > > --
    > > -- Guilherme H. Polo Goncalves

    > The server is running SSH2.
    > Can you think of any other ideas to troubleshoot ?

    Take a look at ssh server log would be my next idea.

    --
    -- Guilherme H. Polo Goncalves
    Guilherme Polo, Jan 16, 2008