Re: Parse a Wireshark pcap file

Discussion in 'Python' started by Kevin Holleran, Jan 23, 2013.

  1. On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 10:29 PM, Dave Angel <> wrote:

    > On 01/22/2013 10:15 PM, Kevin Holleran wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks, I have been trying to get it to work but I am on Mac OS 10.8.2. I
    >> tried to get it from Macports and download/install it myself. Both seem
    >> get me to here:
    >>
    >> ImportError: No module named dnet
    >>
    >> I tried to download libdnet but no matter what I do this is what I get.
    >> Granted I am doing;
    >>
    >> from scapy.all import *
    >>

    >> But I have no idea what I need. I am not trying to craft packets but
    >> filter packets based on tcp.dstport 80 & frame matches signin.aspx. Then
    >> my goal is to parse the data looking for post vars txtUserId & txtPwd and
    >> extract them, dumping them to the screen as userid_value => password.
    >>

    > I've never worked on Mac OSx And the only times I had and used scapy
    > were on a work machine that's long gone. I still run Linux, but versions
    > of everything have changed since then.
    >
    > I don't know if there's anyone here that's more current with scapy and/or
    > with Mac, but in case there is, you could be lots clearer about what you're
    > doing and how it fails.
    >
    > Version of OS. You said that well.
    > Version of Python,.
    > Exact location you got scapy from, what version it was
    > How you installed it (I don't know Macports, clearly)
    > What the full traceback was when it died.
    >

    > --
    > DaveA

    Noted, I will try to be more verbose.

    Mac OS 10.8.2
    Python v.2.7
    I downloaded from the sourceforge site, then tried to install with MacPorts
    when some dependencies were failing. I then downloaded & installed
    pcapy-0.10.6 when that dependency still failed. That solved that but I
    received the dnet error:

    from scapy.all import conf
    File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/scapy/all.py", line 16, in
    <module>
    from arch import *
    File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/scapy/arch/__init__.py", line 75,
    in <module>
    from bsd import *
    File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/scapy/arch/bsd.py", line 12, in
    <module>
    from unix import *
    File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/scapy/arch/unix.py", line 20, in
    <module>
    from pcapdnet import *
    File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/scapy/arch/pcapdnet.py", line
    160, in <module>
    import dnet
    ImportError: No module named dnet

    So I downloaded and compiled libdnet-1.11 with a:
    $ sudo ./configure && make

    I see it compile fine & the libraries have been installed to:
    /usr/local/sbin/dnet

    However, python can't find it... I am not clear on how to point Python
    there...

    Thanks again.

    Kevin

    Kevin Holleran, Jan 23, 2013