Re: parse an environment file

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jason Friedman, Oct 3, 2012.

  1. > Ah, fair enough. Well, since you're using the full range of bash
    > functionality, the only viable way to parse it is with bash itself.
    > I'd recommend going with the version you have above:
    >
    >> * * * * * . /path/to/export_file && /path/to/script.py

    > Under what circumstances is this not an option? That'd be the next
    > thing to consider.
    >
    > Alternatively, you may want to consider making your own config file
    > format. If you consciously restrict yourself to a severe subset of
    > bash functionality, you could easily parse it in Python - for
    > instance, always look for "export %s=%s" with simple strings for the
    > variable name and value.

    Thank you, Chris, off-list post unintentional. It may be the case
    that I do not maintain /path/to/export_file; I might just be allowed
    to read it.
    Based on your responses and everyone's responses I'm guessing that
    what I am doing is sufficiently novel that there is no canned
    solution. I looked at shlex but did not see how that would be
    helpful.
    Thank you all for your thoughts.
    Jason Friedman, Oct 3, 2012