Re: Parsing files in python

Discussion in 'Python' started by Kene Meniru, Dec 24, 2012.

  1. Kene Meniru

    Kene Meniru Guest

    Chris Angelico wrote:

    > I'm hoping you meant for that to be public; if not, my apologies for
    > forwarding a private message.
    >
    > On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 8:45 PM, Kene Meniru <>
    > wrote:
    >> Chris Angelico wrote:
    >>> from povray_macros import *
    >>>

    >> Am afraid you misunderstood my post. The file format I described is not
    >> an attempt to re-create or modify a python environment. I do not wish to
    >> be able to "import" python macros but other text files similar to the one
    >> I described.

    > Yep. There are two possibilities: Either you create a program that
    > reads in a file of format you invent, or you make a set of Python
    > functions and classes that mean that the format is actually a Python
    > script. Instead of writing a file parser, you use Python's, and the
    > program you write is actually a module rather than a top-level
    > application.

    Actually, I think I mean what you are saying. Let me repeat what I
    understand maybe I am understanding it wrong.

    You are saying I can create a python module that can parse this file format
    without using a system like python-ply? I know how to parse strings using
    python but considering that text files that describe a whole building may be
    quite large I thought perhaps the re module may not be adequate.

    Kene Meniru, Dec 24, 2012