Re: parsing variable arg lists via va_list pointers (any gurus here?)

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Chris Dollin, Jun 3, 2008.

  1. Chris Dollin

    Chris Dollin Guest

    Jesse Ziser wrote:

    > I'm trying to write a function that takes a very complex variable
    > argument list.

    Why?

    --
    "It does not need to take events in their correct order." /Hexwood/

    Hewlett-Packard Limited registered no:
    Chris Dollin, Jun 3, 2008

  2. Chris Dollin

    Chris Dollin Guest

    Richard Heathfield wrote:

    > Chris Dollin said:
    >
    >> Jesse Ziser wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm trying to write a function that takes a very complex variable
    >>> argument list.

    >> Why?

    > Because it isn't there.

    Neither is the natural number whose square is 17.

    --
    "It would have to be enough." /Brokedown Palace/

    registered no: 690597 England Berks RG12 1HN
    Chris Dollin, Jun 3, 2008

  3. Chris Dollin

    Chris Dollin Guest

    Richard Heathfield wrote:

    > Chris Dollin said:
    >
    >> Richard Heathfield wrote:

    >>> Because it isn't there.

    >> Neither is the natural number whose square is 17.

    > Wrong. 5x5 is 17 (in base eighteen).

    17(base 18) isn't 17.

    Chris Dollin, Jun 3, 2008
  4. Chris Dollin

    Guest

    On Jun 4, 2:59 am, Jesse Ziser <> wrote:
    > Richard Heathfield wrote:
    > > Chris Dollin said:

    <snip>
> [...]

    <snip>
    > P.S.:
    > I love the fact that the person who started this terribly useful
    > subthread was apparently trying to chastise me for doing something he
    > saw as pointless.

    The second quote above was a very concise/brief/terse 'why?'
    complex variable argument list".
    I would not read too much into this, certainly not a judgmental
    attitude. How about interpreting it as "What is it that you are
    achieving to do?" There is always a chance there are other approaches.
    Even if you know no other approach will suffice, other people might
    still enjoy pondering a more general problem.

    Stijn
    , Jun 4, 2008
  5. Chris Dollin

    Chris Dollin Guest

    Jesse Ziser wrote:

    > Richard Heathfield wrote:
    >> Chris Dollin said:

    >>> 17(base 18) isn't 17.

    >> Yes, but I didn't /say/ base 18, did I? I said base eighteen.
    >>
    >> Shall we stop here, before we both get lynched?

    > Yes.
    >
    > P.S.:
    > I love the fact that the person who started this terribly useful
    > subthread was apparently trying to chastise me for doing something he
    > saw as pointless.

    If you mean me, I asked a perfectly reasonable question; /why?/ are
    you trying to write a function that takes a very complex variable
    argument list?

    I don't see it as pointless; I do see it as needlessly tricky,
    but you may be able to show the need. And showing the need may
    provoke alternative approaches.

    --
    "Giving my opinion / to whoever's there." /Wonderland/

    registered no: 690597 England Berks RG12 1HN
    Chris Dollin, Jun 4, 2008