Re: password protect file

Discussion in 'Python' started by Modulok, Jun 30, 2013.

  1. Modulok

    Modulok Guest

    On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 10:28:47 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
    > I was wondering if there was a couple of words or things i
    > could add to the top of my python script to password
    > protect it so that it asks user for the password and then
    > after three tries it locks them out or says "access
    > denied" and closes/ends the script but if they get it
    > wright it proceeds on to the next line of the script total
    > noob here any help appreciated

    How to correctly implement such features depends on what are you are
    protecting. Are you trying to protect another file on the same machine, the
    script itself? Is this a server-side script trying to authenticate a web
    client? Is this 'kid-sister' level protection or national security level
    of protection? We would need more details on what you're trying to
    accomplish.

    Also, good (i.e. real) security is notoriously difficult to get right. There
    are usually pre-built solutions you should make use of instead.

    >From your subject line it sounds like you're interested in access control.

    If
    this is on a controlled system you should instead make use of the pre-built
    operating systems access control features such as user accounts, file
    permission bits, group policies or Access Control Lists.

    If this is in an uncontrolled environment or you just want to protect a
    file on
    a USB stick from prying eyes you can encrypt the file with a strong
    symmetric
    cipher like AES. There are existing tools for doing this. Your Python script
    could be a wrapper around one of these. (There are certain security
    implications to be aware of when doing this.) There's also AES
    implementations
    available in various pure Python modules. (However these generally are not
    FIPS
    certified.)

    If you are a "total noob" attempting (real) security programming is a bad
    idea.
    -Modulok-

    Modulok, Jun 30, 2013

  2. On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 8:17 AM, <> wrote:

    > i just want something simple that basicly asks for a password and then replies to u if you are wrong nothing hevay just for learning exsperience
    > --

    Then your task is pretty easy. Look up these things in the Python docs:

    * input (or raw_input if you use Python 2)
    * if
    * sys.exit

    You can do it with those three.

    ChrisA