Re: PDF display

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Jukka K. Korpela, Sep 21, 2011.

  1. 21.9.2011 9:46, Pete H wrote:

    > Is it possible to display an adobe pdf file on a webpage without having to
    > click on it first ?

    Yes, and it's not a good idea at all (in almost any case). For one
    thing, if I visit your page using a pocket-size device (perhaps even
    with volume charges on data transfer), I surely don't want anything like
    that. For another thing, one of the most common problems that people
    face these days is that something goes wrong in the interaction between
    a web browser (or an email client) and a PDF display program such as
    Adobe Reader.

    Yesterday my mother-in-law panicked when trying to open a few PDF
    attachements in email made the system stuck. Over the phone, without
    seeing the specifics, I gave her the usual advice: download the PDF
    files onto your disk, then open from there, avoiding the interaction
    problem. Similar issues are raised frequently on the Web, with similar
    cures - it often happens that when you click on a link to a PDF file,
    *** boink ***, but if you right-click on it, save, then open the disk
    file, smooth sailing. This is why a link to a PDF file, clearly
    annotated (e.g., with "(PDF)" after the link text) are absolutely the
    best way to put PDF material on the Web.

    Technically, you could use iframe, embed, and (theoretically best but
    with least support) object; see a demo at
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/test/pdfinclude.html
    You would need to determine the actual size of the presentation in order
    to set the dimensions so that no rescaling happens.

    > I am working on the page at http://northamptoninterfaithforum.org.uk/ and
    > just near the top of the page is the text "NIFF POSTER childrens art 2011"
    > which is a link to the pdf file.

    Keep it that way but append "(PDF)" or the PDF icon.

    Is there something odd with the PDF file? When I open it in Adobe Reader
    (no matter how - even when I open it as a file saved on disk), I get the
    printing window as if I had given a print command. Not nice - it would
    happen far too often that the user accidentally prints it, and what will
    such a waste cause to our Earth? :)

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Sep 21, 2011

  2. Jukka K. Korpela

    dorayme Guest

    In article <j5c604$ts$>,
    "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:

    > > I am working on the page at http://northamptoninterfaithforum.org.uk/ and
    > > just near the top of the page is the text "NIFF POSTER childrens art 2011"
    > > which is a link to the pdf file.

    > Is there something odd with the PDF file? When I open it in Adobe Reader
    > (no matter how - even when I open it as a file saved on disk), I get the
    > printing window as if I had given a print command.

    When I open it in my Safari or Firefox, it opens fine in the
    browsers viewport. When I try Adobe Reader (a couple of
    versions), or another program called Preview (which is a sort of
    Mac Swiss Army viewer for all sorts of things), it opens fine but
    in addition offers a print dialog box, which can be cancelled
    leaving the PDF to view on screen.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 21, 2011

  3. Jukka K. Korpela

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article
    <1.mi.comcast.net>,
    dorayme <> wrote:

    > In article <j5c604$ts$>,
    > "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:
    >
    > > > I am working on the page at http://northamptoninterfaithforum.org.uk/ and
    > > > just near the top of the page is the text "NIFF POSTER childrens art 2011"
    > > > which is a link to the pdf file.

    > > Is there something odd with the PDF file? When I open it in Adobe Reader
    > > (no matter how - even when I open it as a file saved on disk), I get the
    > > printing window as if I had given a print command.

    > When I open it in my Safari or Firefox, it opens fine in the
    > browsers viewport. When I try Adobe Reader (a couple of
    > versions), or another program called Preview (which is a sort of
    > Mac Swiss Army viewer for all sorts of things), it opens fine but
    > in addition offers a print dialog box, which can be cancelled
    > leaving the PDF to view on screen.

    Odd. I don't get the print dialog box. The whole process goes just as I
    would expect it to (except I don't have the Adobe thingy).

    --
    Tim

    Tim Streater, Sep 21, 2011
  4. 21.9.2011 14:07, Tim Streater wrote:

    > In article
    > <1.mi.comcast.net>,
    > dorayme <> wrote:

    [...]
    >> When I open it in my Safari or Firefox, it opens fine in the browsers
    >> viewport. When I try Adobe Reader (a couple of versions), or another
    >> program called Preview (which is a sort of Mac Swiss Army viewer for
    >> all sorts of things), it opens fine but in addition offers a print
    >> dialog box, which can be cancelled leaving the PDF to view on screen.

    > Odd. I don't get the print dialog box. The whole process goes just as I
    > would expect it to (except I don't have the Adobe thingy).

    This depends on the PDF viewer (and the browser, as its settings may
    affect which viewer is launched and how).

    The PDF file in question contains a piece of JavaScript,
    this.print({bUI:true,bSilent:false,bShrinkToFit:true});
    to be exact, as I found out using Foxit Reader (where the default mode
    is safe mode, which means no JavaScript execution, hence no print dialog).

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Sep 21, 2011
  5. dorayme wrote:
    > In article<j5c604$ts$>,
    > "Jukka K. Korpela"<> wrote:
    >
    >>> I am working on the page at http://northamptoninterfaithforum.org.uk/ and
    >>> just near the top of the page is the text "NIFF POSTER childrens art 2011"
    >>> which is a link to the pdf file.

    >> Is there something odd with the PDF file? When I open it in Adobe Reader
    >> (no matter how - even when I open it as a file saved on disk), I get the
    >> printing window as if I had given a print command.

    > When I open it in my Safari or Firefox, it opens fine in the
    > browsers viewport. When I try Adobe Reader (a couple of
    > versions), or another program called Preview (which is a sort of
    > Mac Swiss Army viewer for all sorts of things), it opens fine but
    > in addition offers a print dialog box, which can be cancelled
    > leaving the PDF to view on screen.

    On my new system here that I built this year I did not even bother to
    install Adobe Reader, I have FoxIt instead...I don't miss it!

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 21, 2011
  6. Jukka K. Korpela

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <j5cps5$mqf$>,
    "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:

    > 21.9.2011 14:07, Tim Streater wrote:
    >
    > > In article
    > > <1.mi.comcast.net>,
    > > dorayme <> wrote:

    > [...]
    > >> When I open it in my Safari or Firefox, it opens fine in the browsers
    > >> viewport. When I try Adobe Reader (a couple of versions), or another
    > >> program called Preview (which is a sort of Mac Swiss Army viewer for
    > >> all sorts of things), it opens fine but in addition offers a print
    > >> dialog box, which can be cancelled leaving the PDF to view on screen.

    > > Odd. I don't get the print dialog box. The whole process goes just as I
    > > would expect it to (except I don't have the Adobe thingy).

    > This depends on the PDF viewer (and the browser, as its settings may
    > affect which viewer is launched and how).

    Preview and Safari.

    > The PDF file in question contains a piece of JavaScript,
    > this.print({bUI:true,bSilent:false,bShrinkToFit:true});
    > to be exact, as I found out using Foxit Reader (where the default mode
    > is safe mode, which means no JavaScript execution, hence no print dialog).

    There appear to be no Preview prefs that mention JavaScript, but perhaps
    I missed something.

    --
    Tim

    Tim Streater, Sep 21, 2011
  7. Jukka K. Korpela

    dorayme Guest

    In article <j5cqub$scq$>,
    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:

    > >> Is there something odd with the PDF file? When I open it in Adobe Reader
    > >> (no matter how - even when I open it as a file saved on disk), I get the
    > >> printing window as if I had given a print command.

    > > When I open it in my Safari or Firefox, it opens fine in the
    > > browsers viewport. When I try Adobe Reader (a couple of
    > > versions), or another program called Preview (which is a sort of
    > > Mac Swiss Army viewer for all sorts of things), it opens fine but
    > > in addition offers a print dialog box, which can be cancelled
    > > leaving the PDF to view on screen.
    > >

    > On my new system here that I built this year I did not even bother to
    > install Adobe Reader, I have FoxIt instead...I don't miss it!

    On Macs, there is a pretty good PDF reader, not bad at least
    called Preview. It is very fast loading. I find it convenient to
    read PDFs (at least the shorter ones) in the browser window, for
    which, on two browsers I use different plugins, none Adobe. But I
    have various Adobe prgms, good for for reading PDFs and some for,
    in addition, making and editing). I hate the constant pesky
    notices to update.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 21, 2011
  8. Jukka K. Korpela

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Tim Streater <> wrote:

    > In article
    > <1.mi.comcast.net>,
    > dorayme <> wrote:

    > > When I open it in my Safari or Firefox, it opens fine in the
    > > browsers viewport. When I try Adobe Reader (a couple of
    > > versions), or another program called Preview ..., it opens fine but
    > > in addition offers a print dialog box, which can be cancelled
    > > leaving the PDF to view on screen.

    > Odd. I don't get the print dialog box. The whole process goes just as I
    > would expect it to (except I don't have the Adobe thingy).

    Well, who knows? Surely the mere presence of AR should not affect
    Preview.

    I know I have a printer that watches every single thing that is
    done in this office, an HP that is completely obsessed with
    details like its level of ink, forever harassing me about some
    things, who knows what else it interferes in, print dialog boxes?
    JK says there is a snippet of JS in the file we are talking
    about. Well, even if it was one *atom* of JS, this printer would
    sniff it out. No, no... I have tried disconnecting the printer's
    USB cord and its power, does no good, it still interferes in
    normal office life, it vibrates and threatens and generally
    menaces, I am scared of it.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 21, 2011
  9. dorayme <> wrote

    > I know I have a printer that watches every single thing that is
    > done in this office, an HP that is completely obsessed with
    > details like its level of ink, forever harassing me about some
    > things, who knows what else it interferes in, print dialog boxes?
    > JK says there is a snippet of JS in the file we are talking
    > about. Well, even if it was one *atom* of JS, this printer would
    > sniff it out. No, no... I have tried disconnecting the printer's
    > USB cord and its power, does no good, it still interferes in
    > normal office life, it vibrates and threatens and generally
    > menaces, I am scared of it.

    No doubt! I have a nightmares about HP printers. I once spent two hours
    on the phone with HP trying to get my friend's printer installed when she
    had moved the ethernet cord from one recepticle to another. Get this - I
    had to uninstall it, and then reinstall it. The uninstall took forever
    since it had to reboot after each HP application was removed. Then
    reinstalling was a pain for the same reason. Two days later, there was
    an Microsoft Update that didn't like the HP, and removed it!

    I'm glad I have my wonderful, quiet and well behaved Lexmark.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Sep 22, 2011