Re: PDF generator decision

Discussion in 'Python' started by jmfauth, May 14, 2013.

  1. jmfauth

    jmfauth Guest

    On 14 mai, 17:05, Christian Jurk <> wrote:
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > This questions may be asked several times already, but the development ofrelevant software continues day-for-day. For some time now I've been usingxhtml2pdf [1] to generate PDF documents from HTML templates (which are rendered through my Django-based web application. This have been working for some time now but I'm constantly adding new templates and they are not looking like I want it (sometimes bold text is bold, sometimes not, layout issues, etc). I'd like to use something else than xhtml2pdf.
    >
    > So far I'd like to ask which is the (probably) best way to create PDFs inPython (3)? It is important for me that I am able to specify not only background graphics, paragaphs, tables and so on but also to specify page headers/footers. The reason is that I have a bunch of documents to be generated (including Invoice templates, Quotes - stuff like that).
    >
    > Any advice is welcome. Thanks.
    >
    > [1]https://github.com/chrisglass/xhtml2pdf

    -----

    1) Use Python to collect your data (db, pictures, texts, ...)
    and/or to create the material (text, graphics, ...) that will
    be the contents (source) of your your pdf's.
    2) Put this source in .tex file (a plain text file).
    3) Let it compile with a TeX engine.

    - I can not figure out something more versatile and basically
    simple (writing a text file).
    - Do not forget you are the only one who knows the content
    and the layout of your document(s).

    jmf
    jmfauth, May 14, 2013