  1. Perl is great, but for row calculation power there is only C.
    So I think youy core function must me coded in C and use them through
    the module Inline::C
    George Mpouras, Dec 21, 2013

  2. Στις 21/12/2013 19:28, ο/η E.D.G. έγÏαψε:
    > "George Mpouras" <> wrote in message
    >> Perl is great, but for row calculation power there is only C.

    > http://pdl.perl.org
    >
    > So far I haven't seen a good explanation of exactly how the PDL
    > module works. But I am guessing that when Perl is told to run, that
    > module converts some specially written Perl code to something like C
    > language code. And then that C (or whatever) code runs instead of having
    > Perl run all of the Perl code one statement at a time.

    are you involved at pdl.perl.org ?
    if so, and you want any specific help to translate something to newer
    Perl version I could help
    George Mpouras, Dec 21, 2013

  3. George Mpouras

    John Black Guest

    In article <>, says...

    > "George Mpouras" <> wrote in message
    > > Perl is great, but for row calculation power there is only C.

    > http://pdl.perl.org
    >
    > So far I haven't seen a good explanation of exactly how the PDL
    > module works. But I am guessing that when Perl is told to run, that module
    > converts some specially written Perl code to something like C language code.
    > And then that C (or whatever) code runs instead of having Perl run all of
    > the Perl code one statement at a time.

    From page 7 of the PDL manual: "In PDL each of these [functions] is implemented by heavily
    optimized C code, which is what makes PDL very efficient for procession of large chunks of
    data. If you did the same operation using normal perl arrays rather than piddles it would be
    about ten to twenty times slower (and use ten times more memory)."

    John Black
    John Black, Dec 23, 2013
  4. Henry Law <> wrote:
    >On 23/12/13 14:32, E.D.G. wrote:
    >> from the lack of responses here to my questions I have to wonder how
    >> many people are actually using the Perl PDL module.

    >Don't lose heart; don't be discouraged. The lack of response here is
    >probably because people lose the will to live through trying to help you
    >in your futile project.

    s/lose/lost many years ago/

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Dec 23, 2013