Re: PDL Questions - Dec. 21, 2013

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Charlton Wilbur, Dec 30, 2013.

  1. >>>>> "EDG" == E D G <> writes:

    EDG> With humor intended, as the caveman said to the
    EDG> dinosaurs,

    EDG> "Evolve or perish!"

    EDG> The dinosaurs are no more.

    And yet you remain.

    EDG> That also applies to programming languages. If they are not
    EDG> easily usable by all interested parties then their days might
    EDG> be numbered.

    You know what? If you don't want to use Perl, stop using it.

    Some years back, a masterful bookseller of my acquaintance said, "You
    know, the best thing you can do for your business is to find the 5% of
    your customers that take 80% of your time and effort, and convince them
    to patronize your competitors instead."

    Perl will survive just fine without pandering to the incompetent
    crackpot constituency. Perhaps you want Python, PHP, Ruby, or
    Javascript instead?

    Charlton

    --
    Charlton Wilbur
    Charlton Wilbur, Dec 30, 2013

  2. with <> Charlton Wilbur wrote:

    *SKIP*
    > Some years back, a masterful bookseller of my acquaintance said, "You
    > know, the best thing you can do for your business is to find the 5% of
    > your customers that take 80% of your time and effort, and convince
    > them to patronize your competitors instead."

    What kind of tribe do you belong to? That seems all of you are talking
    in sigs. That must be diet or something then.

    *CUT*

    Eric Pozharski, Dec 31, 2013

  3. Charlton Wilbur <> writes:

    [...]

    > Some years back, a masterful bookseller of my acquaintance said, "You
    > know, the best thing you can do for your business is to find the 5% of
    > your customers that take 80% of your time and effort, and convince them
    > to patronize your competitors instead."

    This lends itself to the following, neat algorithm

    while ($customers = count_whoever_still_buys_stuff_here()) {
    get_rid_of_n(int($customers * 100 / 5 + 0.5));
    reduce_staff_accordingly();
    pocket_the_balance();
    }
    goto &chapter_11;

    Which is the very essence of "professionally manageing someone else's
    company" (in the USA, predominantly). It is not reliable, unforunately,
    because sometimes, the owner may be able to stop this runaway process
    with a SIGKILL while there's still something of his company left.
    Rainer Weikusat, Dec 31, 2013
  4. Charlton Wilbur <> writes:

    [...]

    > Some years back, a masterful bookseller of my acquaintance said, "You
    > know, the best thing you can do for your business is to find the 5% of
    > your customers that take 80% of your time and effort, and convince them
    > to patronize your competitors instead."

    This lends itself to the following, neat algorithm

    while ($customers = count_whoever_still_buys_stuff_here()) {
    get_rid_of_n(int($customers * 5 / 100 + 0.5));
    reduce_staff_accordingly();
    pocket_the_balance();
    }
    goto &chapter_11;

    which is the very essence of "professionally manageing someone else's
    company" (in the USA, predominantly). It is not reliable, unfortunately,
    Rainer Weikusat, Dec 31, 2013