Re: PDL Questions - Dec. 21, 2013

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Michael Vilain, Dec 30, 2013.

  1. In article <>,
    "E.D.G." <> wrote:

    > "E.D.G." <> wrote in message
    >
    > Recommendation:
    >
    > Instead of criticizing people posting notes here, why don't you folks
    > create a parallel moderated Perl Newsgroup?
    >
    > There aren't that many posts to this Newsgroup that it would be
    > overly difficult for a team of a half dozen people to run the moderated
    > Newsgroup. I don't know exactly how the Newsgroup management structure
    > works. But perhaps it might be possible create a list of approved posters
    > who would not need to have each of their posts approved for posting.
    >
    > That way, the "amateurs" could have a Newsgroup resource where the
    > language could be discussed. And everyone would be happy.

    The perl group seems to be particularly prickly about people doing their
    homework before posting. I generally try what I can, get stuck, then
    post what I've tried and ask for a pointer to send me in the right
    direction.

    It's considered bad form to ask for advice and then ignore that advise
    or argue with the people offering it. Most usenet news groups will
    plonk you pretty fast for that and not just here.

    I've only been watching this group for 10 years, but I seem to recall
    you pontificating ever so often, being guilty of both these above
    points. The fact that people haven't plonked you yet just means they
    like poking you with a stick just to see you react. That's probably why
    your friend left, too.

    Michael Vilain, Dec 30, 2013

  2. >>>>> "MV" == Michael Vilain <> writes:

    MV> The perl group seems to be particularly prickly about people
    MV> doing their homework before posting.

    The culture of the Perl group was formed in the days when every moron
    who could spell HTML considered himself an experienced web developer and
    posted idiotic FAQs here, or expected free sysadmin support for his
    broken web hosting setup.

    MV> The fact that people haven't plonked you yet just means they
    MV> like poking you with a stick just to see you react.

    There's also an element of abnormal psychology combined with
    rubbernecking: nobody can really be that consistently clueless, can
    they?

    Charlton

    --
    Charlton Wilbur