Re: PDL Questions - Dec. 21, 2013

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Rainer Weikusat, Dec 30, 2013.

  1. "E.D.G." <> writes:
    > "E.D.G." <> wrote in message

    [...]

    > However, for general usage by the international scientific
    > community a programming language also needs to have one or several of
    > the following three things. And unfortunately, Perl doesn't meet
    > those requirements in my opinion.
    >
    > 1. It needs to be able to run "out of the box" with no problems.
    > That means that when it is installed there aren't any additional steps
    > that need to be done to start using it.

    [...]

    > However, there have been some problems with getting new modules
    > to work. And PDL is the most important of them so far.
    >
    > PPM did not seem to get the job done by itself though I plan to
    > try using it again and see if I might have missed something.
    >
    > Doing everything else possible and following all of the
    > instructions on the PDL instruction pages got the module installed and
    > running for some commands but not others.
    >
    > This means that the PDL module did not run "out of the box" for
    > my installation. And if people cannot get something to run
    > immediately like that then the programming language has a major
    > limitation. Individual scientists don't have time to spend an entire
    > week trying to get a computer language to work.

    PDL is an external module (or set of external modules) for Perl and as
    such, it is only accidentally related to the language itself, IOW, your
    criticism of the PDL installation procedure and documentation may well
    be justified BUT that's something to be directed at the people who
    develop PDL.
    Rainer Weikusat, Dec 30, 2013