Re: PDL Questions - Dec. 21, 2013

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by John Black, Dec 31, 2013.

  1. John Black

    John Black Guest

    In article <>, says...

    > On 30/12/13 05:08, E.D.G. wrote:
    > > It has been my personal experience that instead of help, requests for
    > > assistance here have usually been met with criticism and arguments.

    > I am an amateur Perl programmer, largely self-taught, and have followed
    > this group since I first started writing my own systems in Perl about
    > fifteen years ago. So: not a professional, not an expert, always a
    > student. I have started threads numerous times and have never had
    > anything other than expert, focussed help.
    >
    > Brusque it may have seemed (e.g. the one line of code that I'd got wrong
    > re-written correctly, with neither preamble nor farewell), but never
    > discourteous. People may have suggested that I approach something a
    > different way (or avoid doing it altogether), but it was never critical,
    > in the modern jeering, finger-pointing, fault-finding sense.
    >
    > I put this down to a basic philosopy of asking questions, which I'd sum
    > up thus: "Do everything you can to the limit of your own skill, explain
    > what you're trying to do and what you have done, post some code that
    > behaves in the way that troubles you, and ask for advice". Works every
    > time.

    This has been my experience as well. I am also self taught. Programming in Perl is not my
    job. I use Perl to do parts of my job better. I've asked several questions here and have
    gotten very helpful answers to all of them.

    John Black

    John Black, Dec 31, 2013