Re: PEP 3143: Standard daemon process library (was: Writing awell-behaved daemon)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jean-Paul Calderone, Mar 20, 2009.

  1. On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 20:58:58 +1100, Ben Finney <> wrote:
    >Ben Finney <> writes:
    >
    >> Writing a Python program to become a Unix daemon is relatively
    >> well-documented: there's a recipe for detaching the process and
    >> running in its own process group. However, there's much more to a
    >> Unix daemon than simply detaching.

    >[…]
    >
    >> My searches for such functionality haven't borne much fruit though.
    >> Apart from scattered recipes, none of which cover all the essentials
    >> (let alone the optional features) of 'daemon', I can't find anything
    >> that could be relied upon. This is surprising, since I'd expect this
    >> in Python's standard library.

    >I've submitted PEP 3143 <URL:http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3143/>
    >to meet this need, and have re-worked an existing library into a new
    >‘python-daemon’ <URL:http://pypi.python.org/pypi/python-daemon/>
    >library, the reference implementation.
    >
    >Now I need wider testing and scrutiny of the implementation and
    >specification.

    The biggest shortcoming seems to be a complete lack of unit tests. A
    quick skim of the code suggests that part of it don't even work at all
    and have never been tested, even interactively, since they must surely
    fail. For example, uid/gid setting is broken.

    I'd recommend adding an automated test suite, fixing all the issues that
    come up during that process, and then asking for scrutiny again.

    Jean-Paul
    Jean-Paul Calderone, Mar 20, 2009