Re: PEP 378: Format Specifier for Thousands Separator

Discussion in 'Python' started by Chris “Kwpolska†Warrick, May 21, 2013.

  1. On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 8:49 PM, Carlos Nepomuceno
    <> wrote:
    > Thank you, but let me rephrase it. I'm already using str.format() but I'dlike to use '%' (BINARY_MODULO) operator instead.

    There is no real reason to do this. `str.format()` is the new shiny
    thing you should be using all the time. Also, '%' is BINARY_MODULO
    (where did you even get that name from?) if and only if you have two
    numbers, and it performs the modulo division (eg. 27 % 5 = 2)

    > So, the question is: Where would I change the CPython 2.7.5 source code to enable '%' (BINARY_MODULO) to format using the thousands separator like str.format() does, such as:

    > 1,234,567

    This will make your code unportable and useless, depending on one
    patch you made. Please don’t do that. Instead,

    > Number = 12,345
    >
    > 'x' is unsigned integer so it's like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut!

    In Python? Tough luck, every int is signed. And it isn’t just a
    sledgehammer, it’s something worse. Just do that:

    >>> sys.stdout.write('Number = {:,.0f}\n'.format(x))

    Much more peaceful.

    You can also do a print, like everyone sane would. Where did you
    learn Python from? “Python Worst Practice for Dummies�

    --
    Kwpolska <http://kwpolska.tk> | GPG KEY: 5EAAEA16
    stop html mail | always bottom-post
    Chris “Kwpolska†Warrick, May 21, 2013