Re: Performance considerations of compiling in debug mode, then NOT deploying the PDB file

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Steve C. Orr, MCSD, Aug 19, 2003.

  1. When you compile in debug mode it puts in a bunch of extra diagnostic code
    that can slow performance (whether or not the PDB file is present.)
    You should use release mode for what it was designed: Release versions of
    your software.
    Debug versions should be treated as prototypes, not finished products.

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD

    "William Sempf" <> wrote in message

    > Does anyone know the implications of compiling in debug mode, testing on a
    > development workstation, and then copying the web MINUS the PDB file to a
    > production server? There are no errors thrown, but I imagine that the
    > performance hit would be the same as if the PDB file were there. Or

    doesn't

    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, Aug 19, 2003

  2. Steve C. Orr, MCSD

    Frank Drebin Guest

    This was true with C++ - but in .NET - the executables/assemblies are
    exactly the same size (where they were NOT in C++).. Are you sure this is
    still true?

    I think the debug information is just in the pdb file nowadays. Can anyone
    confirm or deny?

    Frank Drebin, Aug 19, 2003

  3. Hi,
    When I compile an ASP.Net app in Release the .DLLs are always smaller.
    Ken.

    Ken Dopierala Jr., Aug 19, 2003
  4. Well, if you look at the Data Application Blocks, the Debug version is 12K
    and the Release is 11K. That tends to say that there is some code in there
    that is for debug only.

    I suppose that answers my question, now that I think of it.

    Thanks, evryone!

    William Sempf, Aug 21, 2003