Re: Perl on a Mac - again

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Jürgen Exner, Apr 22, 2012.

  1. Hacker <> wrote:
    >I have a little Perl program here:
    >
    >#!usr//bin/perl
    >print "Hello World";
    >
    >it is called 'test'.
    >
    >When I write 'perl test' on the command line it works fine and comes out with
    >'Hello World' just as it should, but when I write 'test' on the command line
    >there is no output.
    >
    >What is wrong.

    You made a very typical Unix beginner's mistake by naming your program
    "test". Don't do that. "test" is an existing binary or a shell built-in
    command and usually takes precedence over a command in the CWD.

    Use a different name for your program or call your own program by
    explicitely referring to the local program as "./test".

    Further details please see a Unix NG because this has nothing to do with
    Perl.

    jue

    PS: why changing your ID? Do you really believe you can fool anybody if
    you call yourself Hacker instead of Torsten Jørgensen?
    You are using the same provider, same user agent, same settings, same
    area of question, and same level of knowledge. That speaks much stronger
    than your ID.

    Jürgen Exner, Apr 22, 2012