    From: Laszlo Nagy <>
    To: "John Haggerty" <>,"python-list (General)" <>
    Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 09:18:12 PM +0430
    Subject: Re: Persistent Distributed Objects

    > I've seen evidence about this being done wrt what looks like insanely
    > complex stuff on this list but I'm wondering if there is something to
    > do this with any number of nodes and just farm out random
    > classes/objects to them?

    Designing and opreating distributed systems is a complex thing.
    Especially if you do not want to specify an exact problem domain that
    you needed to solve - then you need to design a distributed system that
    is able to solve general problems. It is very complex, and - at least to
    my knowledge - there is no efficient solution out of the box. This is
    not Python specific. It would be a hard task just to design how that
    system should work, regardless of the computer language it is
    implemented in.

    , Oct 10, 2009

  2. OdarR Guest

    On 10 oct, 05:39, "" <> wrote:
    > Sorry about being interpreted as being vague. `et me try to narrow it down. program a creates objects b c d which each need to use 1 disk space 2 ram 3 processor time. I would like to create a heckpoint which would save the work of the object to be later used and then delete it from memory [which I assume from reading about them implimented elsewhere is more or less how they work]. The other part would be to assign the objects via a network depending on the number of network machines. I.e. suppose b c and d see machines e f g on a network they can send those machines objects b c and d and have any work saved on the main machine or local ones. What I was wondering is how would I do that in python. The arbitrary part could be no more complicated than a program where b is calculating a list of prime numbers from x to infinity c is just a notepad program and d is a program that prints say the size of the file as youi type it and says " I like writing a poem of [bytes big] while my computer foun ou that [new prime] is the biggest on [machines #] computers.    Rmi supposedly does this for the distribuited part.     Object persistence does this for saving to the best of what I`ve seen nothing distributes and saved at the same time.      Does that help?

    hi,

    you could imagine architect a system around Pyro and take care of
    persistence with simple pickle ?

    Olivier
    OdarR, Oct 10, 2009

  3. OdarR Guest

    On 10 oct, 05:39, "" <> wrote:
    > Sorry about being interpreted as being vague. `et me try to narrow it down. program a creates objects b c d which each need to use 1 disk space 2 ram 3 processor time. I would like to create a heckpoint which would save the work of the object to be later used and then delete it from memory [which I assume from reading about them implimented elsewhere is more or less how they work]. The other part would be to assign the objects via a network depending on the number of network machines. I.e. suppose b c and d see machines e f g on a network they can send those machines objects b c and d and have any work saved on the main machine or local ones. What I was wondering is how would I do that in python. The arbitrary part could be no more complicated than a program where b is calculating a list of prime numbers from x to infinity c is just a notepad program and d is a program that prints say the size of the file as youi type it and says " I like writing a poem of [bytes big] while my computer foun ou that [new prime] is the biggest on [machines #] computers.    Rmi supposedly does this for the distribuited part.     Object persistence does this for saving to the best of what I`ve seen nothing distributes and saved at the same time.      Does that help?

    Did you have a look on Zope and ZEO ?
    It could be interesting.
    http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/2_6Edition/ZEO.stx

    br,