Re: php or cgi

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Leif K-Brooks, Jul 6, 2003.

  1. tom watson wrote:

    > I am doing a form for a website and learning the best method. I note some
    > sites use cgi scripts and some php.
    >
    > They both seem to produce the same type of results so what is the benefit of
    > one over the other

    CGI is not a programming language, it's a protocol for processing
    requests. I'm guessing you mean Perl, which is what most people mean
    when they say "CGI".

    PHP is often easier than Perl for web programming, since that is exactly
    what it was designed for. Form variables are handled automatically, for
    example.

    PHP is faster than Perl/CGI when used as a server module, but the speeds
    are probably about the same when both are used as CGI. I don't have
    statistics handy, though.

    Perl may have more example code and libraries available, since it has
    been around longer.
    Leif K-Brooks, Jul 6, 2003

  2. On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 07:07:23 -0400, Leif K-Brooks wrote:

    > tom watson wrote:
    >
    >> I am doing a form for a website and learning the best method. I note some
    >> sites use cgi scripts and some php.

    > CGI is not a programming language, it's a protocol for processing
    > requests. I'm guessing you mean Perl, which is what most people mean
    > when they say "CGI".

    And to confuse matters even more, you can run a PHP script via CGI...

    playing://(nothing)
    Toby A Inkster, Jul 7, 2003