Re: Picking an unused port number

Discussion in 'Java' started by Roedy Green, Oct 21, 2010.

  1. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 15:02:41 -0500, Spud <> wrote,

    >So, in general, is there any rule you should use when selecting a port
    >number, other than picking one > 1024?

    Some programs let the user choose the port number during the install
    process. It can then burn it in to the program in any of a number of
    ways.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com

    Microsoft has a new version out, Windows XP, which according to everybody is the "most reliable Windows ever." To me, this is like saying that asparagus is "the most articulate vegetable ever."
    ~ Dave Barry

    Roedy Green, Oct 21, 2010

  2. Roedy Green

    Lew Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > Some programs let the user choose the port number during the install
    > process. It can then burn it in to the program in any of a number of
    > ways.

    Excellent point. One such way is
    <http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/prefs/package-summary.html>

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Oct 22, 2010

  3. On 21-10-2010 19:18, Lew wrote:
    > Spud wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
    >>> So, in general, is there any rule you should use when selecting a port
    >>> number, other than picking one> 1024?

    > Roedy Green wrote:
    >> Some programs let the user choose the port number during the install
    >> process. It can then burn it in to the program in any of a number of
    >> ways.

    > Excellent point. One such way is
    > <http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/prefs/package-summary.html>

    Or a simple properties file.