Re: Pigeon Computer 0.1 Initial (BETA) release

Discussion in 'Python' started by Colin J. Williams, Dec 22, 2012.

  1. On 21/12/2012 7:07 PM, Amirouche Boubekki wrote:
    > Héllo,
    >

    > 2012/12/22 Simon Forman <
    > <mailto:>>
    >
    > Pigeon Computer 0.1 Initial (BETA) release
    >
    > Summary
    > ============
    >
    > The Pigeon Computer is a simple but sophisticated system for learning
    > and exploring the fundamentals of computers and programming.
    >
    > It is written to support a course or class (as yet pending) to learn
    > programming from the bit to the compiler.
    >
    > There is a DRAFT manual and a Pigeon User Interface that includes:
    >
    > * An assembler for the ATmega328P micro-controller.
    > * A polymorphic meta-compiler.
    > * Forth-like firmware in assembly.
    > * Simple high-level language for assembly control structures.
    > * A virtual computer that illustrates Functional Programming.
    >
    > Source code is released under the GPL (v3) and is hosted on Github:
    > https://github.com/PhoenixBureau/PigeonComputer
    >
    > The manual is online in HTML form here:
    > http://phoenixbureau.github.com/PigeonComputer/
    >
    > Mailing list:
    > https://groups.google.com/d/forum/pigeoncomputer
    >
    > It has been tested on Linux with Python 2.7, YMMV.
    >
    > I'm releasing it now because it's basically done even though it needs
    > polish and I'm just too excited about it. Happy End of the World Day!
    >

    > This sound fun!
    >
    > Could you elaborate a bit in simple words what it is and what's the
    > common way to interact with the system ? What do you mean by «
    > Forth-like firmware in assembly » ? Is there a GUI ? Does it feels like
    > being a hipster like in the '50s or before and breaking the 1 billion
    > dollar thing ?
    >
    > Of course the little tutorial I stripped and read a bit gives some of
    > the responses.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Amirouche
    >

    > - - -
    >
    > Whew! If you are still reading, thank you. There is a lot more to be
    > done and I am hoping to form classes in early January 2013. If you
    > are interested please email me at
    > <mailto:>
    >
    > You can also participate on Github and join the mailing list.
    > * https://github.com/PhoenixBureau/PigeonComputer
    > * https://groups.google.com/d/forum/pigeoncomputer
    >
    > Warm regards,
    > ~Simon P. Forman
    >
    > Support the Python Software Foundation:
    > http://www.python.org/psf/donations/

    The Pigeon would appear to have objectives similar to those of the
    Raspberry Pi Project, which uses an ARM processor and has operational
    both Python 2.7 and Python 3.2. The Raspberry Pi Foundation can be
    reached at: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/projects/raspberrypi/

    Colin W.
    Colin J. Williams, Dec 22, 2012