Re: Playing videos from your own web page...

Discussion in 'HTML' started by cwdjrxyz, Jan 16, 2011.

  1. cwdjrxyz

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Jan 15, 3:12 am, heretic <> wrote:
    > ...which player would be the best!?
    >
    > Easiest to set up, not crashing etc.
    >
    > It's few of thosehttp://www.longtailvideo.com/support/addons/viral-plugin/10645/viral-...
    >
    > Any recommendation?

    Since you mention "from your own web page" in the title, I assume you
    have control of what formats of video you put up on your page. If you
    make the videos yourself, they likely are often in a format that often
    requires much too high of a download rate to be used on the web for
    streaming, although you can use even HD files if you are willing to
    wait for them to download. With video files running up to 40+ GB (not
    a typo) for many Blu-ray movies, you can see the download time for
    more than just a few minutes will become excessive even using the best
    broadband connection available to most private individuals. Thus, even
    for standard resolution video, you likely are going to need to encode
    the video to a much lower bitrate format that is suitable for the
    internet. Do you want the videos for viewing only by yourself or also
    by others? The one format that can be seen by the most people is flv/
    swf, but you may need to buy an encoder for this format. If you are
    interested only in videos, a decent encoder for that format can be
    had for under $US 100. You input any one of several video formats and
    the encoder outputs a flv file containing the flash video and a swf
    file containing the custom player selected and possible other things
    such as text, logos, links to other pages etc.You upload both the flv
    and swf to the same directory on your site. You call for the video
    using the swf url only, and it automatically starts download of the
    flv to a temporary cache on the computer. If the download rate for the
    flv exceeds the rate needed for playing, the video soon starts
    streaming. Of course any computer must have Adobe flash, or
    substitute, installed for this format to work. You can encode for low
    streaming rates that will work for slow bit rate cartoon-like flash
    ads that will even work on dialup up to the top Blu-ray resolution HD
    video using codec H-264 video.

    If you want an encoder for free, Microsoft will give you an encoder
    for their.wmv format, and Real has an encoder for their video formats.
    There also are many pay encoders, and a few free ones, that will take
    inputs in many video formats and convert it to video suitable for the
    web in several possible formats.

    If you are interested in videos made by someone else that uses flv/
    swf, such as YouTube and many other services, some of these provide
    instructions for using their videos, when allowed, and you likely
    would be best off at first if you follow their instructions.

    One also can provide more than one video format or bitrate if the need
    arises. The most common formats for video today on the web, in
    decreasing order of use, seem to be flv/swf(Adobe), wmv(Microsoft),
    mov(Apple), rm(Real). If html5 becomes common, ogv may become more
    common, as Firefox, Opera, and perhaps other html5 capable browsers
    will support ogv as one of their built in "house" format video
    players.
    cwdjrxyz, Jan 16, 2011