RE: Please Contribute Python Documentation!

Discussion in 'Python' started by Tony Meyer, Jan 10, 2005.

  1. Tony Meyer

    Tony Meyer Guest

    > I'm changing the subject so that hopefully people who have
    > long ago tuned out the "Python evolution: Unease" subject
    > will read this note.

    Worked for me :) Two other pages that are probably of use to people
    interested in this are:

    <http://www.python.org/moin/ModulesThatNeedDocs>
    <http://www.python.org/moin/MissingFromDocumentation>

    These document the current (well, current when the wiki page was last
    updated) state of various document patches, and list things that people have
    noticed need work. There's also a place for volunteers to put their name if
    they are willing to provide module documentation, so that work isn't
    duplicated.

    (I don't know how up-to-date the latter one is. I think the former is
    reasonably so).

    > You do not (repeat, *do not*)
    > need to install any tools to contribute content to the
    > documentation. Just whip out your favorite text editor and
    > type plain old text. There are plenty of us around who know
    > enough LaTeX to markup anything you contribute. Don't let
    > lack of a specific set of tools be a barrier to contribution!

    I don't think I've seen such a statement before - the stuff I've seen all
    indicates that one should be submitting proper LaTeX docs/patches. If
    plain-text contributions are welcome, could this be added to the doc about
    contributing to the docs? (I suppose I could submit a patch, but that seems
    overkill <wink>).

    > In either case, select "Documentation" as the category. There is
    > no need to assign it to anyone. It will get seen shortly.
    > The correctness of a documentation fix is generally easier to
    > verify than that for a code fix, so they tend to get applied
    > pretty quickly.

    Is it a mistake to attach a patch to a bug report? Should it be a new patch
    tracker instead? I ask because I (ages ago) submitted documentation for
    zipimport (it's linked from the ModulesThatNeedDocs page above) and although
    it's been included on that wiki page and in discussion on python-dev about
    missing documentation, it's never been looked at, AFAIK. (If there are
    problems, I'm happy to amend the patch, as the comment says). This is
    somewhat at odds with the "shortly" and "pretty quickly" <0.5 wink>.

    =Tony.Meyer
    Tony Meyer, Jan 10, 2005

  2. Tony Meyer

    Aahz Guest

    In article <>,
    Tony Meyer <> wrote:

    >I don't think I've seen such a statement before - the stuff I've seen
    >all indicates that one should be submitting proper LaTeX docs/patches.
    >If plain-text contributions are welcome, could this be added to the doc
    >about contributing to the docs? (I suppose I could submit a patch, but
    >that seems overkill <wink>).

    It *is* in the docs now -- see the top of
    http://www.python.org/doc/2.4/doc/doc.html

    (This has been the official policy for some time, but you're right that
    it wasn't earlier documented. So I filed a bug report. ;-) If you
    think this still isn't enough, file another.)
    --
    Aahz () <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

    "19. A language that doesn't affect the way you think about programming,
    is not worth knowing." --Alan Perlis
    Aahz, Jan 10, 2005

  3. Tony Meyer

    Kent Johnson Guest

    Aahz wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Tony Meyer <> wrote:
    >
    >>I don't think I've seen such a statement before - the stuff I've seen
    >>all indicates that one should be submitting proper LaTeX docs/patches.
    >>If plain-text contributions are welcome, could this be added to the doc
    >>about contributing to the docs? (I suppose I could submit a patch, but
    >>that seems overkill <wink>).

    > It *is* in the docs now -- see the top of
    > http://www.python.org/doc/2.4/doc/doc.html

    It's also spelled out pretty clearly in the "About this document" document you get by clicking on
    the link at the bottom of every page.

    Kent

    Kent Johnson, Jan 10, 2005