Re: Please critic this page

Discussion in 'HTML' started by DU, Aug 6, 2003.

  1. DU

    DU Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > I tried to put an external style sheet here but there is something wrong
    > www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/boendeitalien.html

    Luigi, always make sure you are formating your html files and css files
    in plain text format. I wonder which edition software you're using to do
    these files.
    You should be using an advanced text editor (like NoteTab light v. 4.95,
    it's free: http:www.notetab.com) so that you can see any/all character
    controls embedded in a document or better you can convert extended
    characters into SGML character entities. You could also try TopStyle
    Light v. 2.5 from www.bradsoft.com (free!). Here, the W3C CSS validator
    gets bugged with a character it does not recognize.
    When I load your css file into TopStyle, this is all I get:
    ÿþp
    The file extension should be .css and its format should be plain text.
    I pasted your css content into a new file in TopStyle light and
    everything worked fine.

    The good news about your failed attempt is that your page renders very
    well without style sheets. Some browsers (like Opera 6+) have user
    setting to allow to turn off external style sheet; I know there is a
    bugzilla bugfile on this.

    DU
    --
    Javascript and Browser bugs:
    DU, Aug 6, 2003

  2. "DU" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >

    > > I tried to put an external style sheet here but there is something wrong
    > > www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/boendeitalien.html
    > >

    > Luigi, always make sure you are formating your html files and css files
    > in plain text format. I wonder which edition software you're using to do
    > these files.
    > You should be using an advanced text editor (like NoteTab light v. 4.95,
    > it's free: http:www.notetab.com) so that you can see any/all character
    > controls embedded in a document or better you can convert extended
    > characters into SGML character entities. You could also try TopStyle
    > Light v. 2.5 from www.bradsoft.com (free!). Here, the W3C CSS validator
    > gets bugged with a character it does not recognize.
    > When I load your css file into TopStyle, this is all I get:
    > ÿþp

    I just put the style sheets in Notpad and saved it as css (unicode).
    I see the effect of CSS on the page but when I try to validate the external
    file it does not work. The name of the software which I use to put my files
    on the website is Internet Neighborhood Version 4.5 .

    - -
    Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)

    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/alloggisvezia.html
    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html

    - -

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Aug 6, 2003

  3. DU wrote:

    > When I load your css file into TopStyle, this is all I get:
    > ÿþp

    I've figured it out. It's in UTF-16, however, the HTTP response doesn't
    identify it as UTF-16 (hence it implies that it's in an 8-bit character
    set).

    Luckily, I have a text editor that supports UTF-16 (gedit), so I can
    convert it to an 8-bit character set for you.

    To download a fixed style sheet:

    http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/scratch/externalstyle.css

    Replace your old one with that and everything should be peachy.

    playing://(nothing)
    Toby A Inkster, Aug 6, 2003
  4. Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > I am under the impression that external style sheet are not widely supported
    > yet

    You are wrong, I'm afraid.

    IE has supported external CSS since IE 3 (released mid 1996). Netscape
    since 4 (released mid 1997). Opera since 3.5B1 (released mid 1998).
    Mozilla has *always* supported them.

    playing://(nothing)
    Toby A Inkster, Aug 6, 2003
  5. Toby A Inkster, Aug 7, 2003
  6. "Toby A Inkster" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >
    > > www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/test.html as CSS using an external style

    sheet.

    > You still have that weird UTF-16 style sheet. Replace it with this one:
    >
    > http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/scratch/externalstyle.css
    >
    > --

    If that is the same link which you posted before
    I already tried to replace it before at
    www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/test.html
    but
    there is something which does not work.

    - -

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Aug 7, 2003
  7. Luigi Donatello Asero, Aug 7, 2003
  8. "Toby A Inkster" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >
    > > If that is the same link which you posted before
    > > I already tried to replace it before at
    > > www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/test.html
    > > but
    > > there is something which does not work.

    > What text editor are you using for your CSS? It is still adding weird
    > UTF-16 stuff to the files.
    >
    > --
    > Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS | mailto: |

    pgp:0x6A2A7D39
    > aim:inka80 | icq:6622880 | yahoo:tobyink | jabber:
    > http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/ | "You've got spam!"
    > playing://(nothing)

    I use WordPad ( I apologize for writing the wrong name last time) to
    write a file and save as txt or css or html and Internet Neighborhood
    Version 4.5

    to put
    a file on the website.

    - -

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Aug 7, 2003
  9. Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > I use WordPad ( I apologize for writing the wrong name last time) to
    > write a file and save as txt or css or html and Internet Neighborhood
    > Version 4.5

    Try using Notepad or some other plain text editor.

    playing://(nothing)
    Toby A Inkster, Aug 8, 2003