    (我是 æ„大利人 , 但是 我 ä½ åœ¨ ç‘žå…¸)
    (minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 21, 2005

  2. Luigi Donatello Asero

    rf Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > Is it only Firefox which presents this problem?

    What problem? You have been here long enough to know to quote a bit of what
    you are replying to :)

    > Does it perhaps not support CSS the same way other browers do?

    It's the other way round. IE does not support enough CSS to render the table
    the way you have specified. FF does understand enough CSS and is simply
    doing what you tell it to. It is not a problem with the browser, it is a
    problem with your CSS.

    Refer to my other post in this thread for the solution.

    BTW do NOT use IE as your test browser. Use a modern browser and once the
    page is complete check it with IE and then apply any hacks required to make
    it work with IE.

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Sep 21, 2005

  3. "rf" <@invalid.com> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >
    > > Is it only Firefox which presents this problem?

    > What problem? You have been here long enough to know to quote a bit of

    what
    > you are replying to :)
    >
    > > Does it perhaps not support CSS the same way other browers do?

    > It's the other way round. IE does not support enough CSS to render the

    table
    > the way you have specified. FF does understand enough CSS and is simply
    > doing what you tell it to. It is not a problem with the browser, it is a
    > problem with your CSS.
    >
    > Refer to my other post in this thread for the solution.

    Ok. I do not have anything to object.
    Does it look better now? I used display: table
    I had probably not realized the problem because I had not tested the page in
    other browsers.
    One practical question on this issue.
    Can I upload several browsers in the same computer without getting any
    problems?
    Which text browser do you recommend?
    I do not like paying by using credit cards, so if there are any browsers (
    for example Opera) which are not free of charge but still useful (for
    example to create a WAP version of the site for mobile telephones)
    I would
    like to know how I could acquire them without using a credit card, that
    means, for example by getting an invoice.

    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero
    (sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 21, 2005
  4. Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > Ok. I do not have anything to object. Does it look better now? I
    > used display: table

    No, it is still broken. Why do you want to display those pictures and
    their descriptions in a table? That's a design error. Float the
    pictures in the column and let the text flow around them.

    And while you're at it, make the left and right columns much narrower,
    because they are what is causing your center column to be so squished.

    > I had probably not realized the problem because I had not tested
    > the page in other browsers.

    Well ... you must be a newbie. <lol>

    > One practical question on this issue. Can I upload several browsers
    > in the same computer without getting any problems?

    Upload? You mean install. Yes, I have nine browsers on this computer,
    and others here have many more.

    > Which text browser do you recommend?

    Lynx?

    > I do not like paying by using credit cards, so if there are any
    > browsers ( for example Opera) which are not free of charge but
    > still useful (for example to create a WAP version of the site for
    > mobile telephones)

    Opera IS free. (This is new, however, but they always did have an
    ad-supported free version.)
    http://www.opera.com/free

    > I would like to know how I could acquire them without using a
    > credit card, that means, for example by getting an invoice.

    Ahh, a tax deduction. <har!>

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 21, 2005
  5. Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > Is it only Firefox which presents this problem?
    > Does it perhaps not support CSS the same way other browers do?

    Nope same for the other Geckos, Opera hoses the table in a new different
    manner! Like it is all stacked 1 one column. Bet you only checked with IE

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 21, 2005
  6. "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > > Ok. I do not have anything to object. Does it look better now? I
    > > used display: table

    > No, it is still broken. Why do you want to display those pictures and
    > their descriptions in a table? That's a design error. Float the
    > pictures in the column and let the text flow around them.

    Well, the descriptions can be considered as data, cannot they?
    But do you mean perhaps something like that
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/presentartiklar.html ?

    > And while you're at it, make the left and right columns much narrower,
    > because they are what is causing your center column to be so squished.

    I guess that I would need a logotype which is less large than this one,
    wouldn´t I?

    > > I had probably not realized the problem because I had not tested
    > > the page in other browsers.

    > Well ... you must be a newbie. <lol>

    I would put it in different terms: as long as I live I´ll probably have
    something to learn.

    > > One practical question on this issue. Can I upload several browsers
    > > in the same computer without getting any problems?

    > Upload? You mean install. Yes, I have nine browsers on this computer,
    > and others here have many more.

    Yes, install.

    > > Which text browser do you recommend?

    > Lynx?

    > > I do not like paying by using credit cards, so if there are any
    > > browsers ( for example Opera) which are not free of charge but
    > > still useful (for example to create a WAP version of the site for
    > > mobile telephones)

    > Opera IS free. (This is new, however, but they always did have an
    > ad-supported free version.)
    > http://www.opera.com/free
    >
    > > I would like to know how I could acquire them without using a
    > > credit card, that means, for example by getting an invoice.

    > Ahh, a tax deduction. <har!>

    Also for this reason given that I want to use the software to build the
    website of my one-man business.
    But it is a security problem at the same time.

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 21, 2005
  7. Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> skrev i
    > meddelandet news:iL4Ye.115030$...
    >
    >> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ok. I do not have anything to object. Does it look better now?
    >>> I used display: table

    >> No, it is still broken. Why do you want to display those pictures
    >> and their descriptions in a table? That's a design error. Float
    >> the pictures in the column and let the text flow around them.

    > Well, the descriptions can be considered as data, cannot they? But

    No, I would consider them captions, or descriptions.

    > do you mean perhaps something like that
    > https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/presentartiklar.html ?

    That page has nothing like the /index.php page.

    You don't understand the concept of inline floats, do you?

    >> And while you're at it, make the left and right columns much
    >> narrower, because they are what is causing your center column to
    >> be so squished.

    > I guess that I would need a logotype which is less large than this
    > one, wouldn´t I?

    I said the left and right columns. The left columns contains all those
    language buttons, or other orange buttons. That column is too wide.

    And that picture of the buzzard takes up way too much space.

    >>> I had probably not realized the problem because I had not
    >>> tested the page in other browsers.

    >> Well ... you must be a newbie. <lol>

    > I would put it in different terms: as long as I live I´ll probably
    > have something to learn.

    We all will, but you seem to not learn from advice given here.

    > Also for this reason given that I want to use the software to
    > build the website of my one-man business. But it is a security
    > problem at the same time.

    It is no security problem to use multiple browsers. At this moment, I
    have your page open in Firefox, Opera, IE6, K-Meleon, and WebTV. It is
    broken in all of them. Heck, WebTV users can't see it *at all*. I
    guess WebTV doesn't allow https pages. <g>

    Oh, and Firefox has been free since its inception, three? years ago.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 21, 2005
  8. "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> skrev i
    > > meddelandet news:iL4Ye.115030$...

    > > Well, the descriptions can be considered as data, cannot they? But

    > No, I would consider them captions, or descriptions.
    >
    > > do you mean perhaps something like that
    > > https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/presentartiklar.html ?

    > That page has nothing like the /index.php page.

    Are you sure about that?

    > You don't understand the concept of inline floats, do you?

    I suppose that you are referring to visual formatting

    > >> And while you're at it, make the left and right columns much
    > >> narrower, because they are what is causing your center column to
    > >> be so squished.

    > > I guess that I would need a logotype which is less large than this
    > > one, wouldn´t I?

    > I said the left and right columns. The left columns contains all those
    > language buttons, or other orange buttons. That column is too wide.

    Not any more. Which is the right column for you?
    Do you mean the right column of the table with the description?

    > And that picture of the buzzard takes up way too much space.

    > >> Well ... you must be a newbie. <lol>

    > > I would put it in different terms: as long as I live I´ll probably
    > > have something to learn.

    > We all will, but you seem to not learn from advice given here.

    No, you do not seem to accept that I sometimes share other people´s
    opinions and other times not.
    And it is not true either that I have not used any advice which I have read
    here.
    But it is also true that there are people writing here who have different
    opinions on the same subject.
    Take this example about pictures and descriptions of these pictures which
    could be regarded as data.
    I think that there had been someone else here before who had this opinion.

    > > Also for this reason given that I want to use the software to
    > > build the website of my one-man business. But it is a security
    > > problem at the same time.

    > It is no security problem to use multiple browsers.

    I was referring to security problems concerning the use of credit cards on
    other websites!

    At this moment, I
    > have your page open in Firefox, Opera, IE6, K-Meleon, and WebTV. It is
    > broken in all of them. Heck, WebTV users can't see it *at all*. I
    > guess WebTV doesn't allow https pages. <g>
    >
    > Oh, and Firefox has been free since its inception, three? years ago.

    Now, on the one hand, it is better to check up the page in several browsers
    but on the other hand, why should I check up first the browsers which a
    lower number of users use?

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 21, 2005
    > Now, on the one hand, it is better to check up the page in several

    browsers
    > but on the other hand, why should I check up first the browsers which a
    > lower number of users use?

    which have a lower number of users rather than with IE which has a higher
    and afterwards check up the others?

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 21, 2005
  10. On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 03:38:52 +0000, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > Can I upload several browsers in the same computer without getting any
    > problems?

    Yes. I have 8 :)

    > Which text browser do you recommend?

    Text browser? I'd suggest lynx or w3m. I don't know if they have windows
    version or not though.

    > I do not like paying by using credit cards, so if there are any browsers (
    > for example Opera) which are not free of charge but still useful

    <snip>

    Firefox, Mozilla, and Opera are free of charge. I usually design for
    the standards compliant firefox and mozilla and usually, the rest of the
    browsers play fair when rendering my pages faithfully. If you design your
    pages around IE, you are going to run into troubles with the rest. Fact of
    life ;)

    --
    Jafar Calley
    Producer - http://moonlife-records.com
    Jafar As-Sadiq Calley, Sep 21, 2005
  11. Jafar As-Sadiq Calley wrote:

    > On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 03:38:52 +0000, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >
    > > Which text browser do you recommend?

    > Text browser? I'd suggest lynx or w3m. I don't know if they have
    > windows version or not though.

    Windows version of Lynx available here:
    http://lynx.isc.org/current/#w32
    http://www.jim.spath.com/lynx_win32/

    The Windows port of w3m requires Cygwin:
    http://www.w3m.org/download/binary/
    http://www.cygwin.com/

    --
    Kim André Akerø
    -
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=, Sep 21, 2005
  12. On 21/09/2005 06:03, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> skrev i
    > meddelandet news:RO5Ye.146734$...
    >
    >> Now, on the one hand, it is better to check up the page in several
    >> browsers but on the other hand, why should I check up first the
    >> browsers which a lower number of users use?

    > which have a lower number of users rather than with IE which has a
    > higher and afterwards check up the others?

    These other browsers provide an accurate picture of what your site looks
    like. They reflect what your markup and style sheets suggest unlike IE
    which, for various reasons, may not.

    If you approach development from the perspective that IE is right, and
    others are wrong, you will make life very hard for yourself. You'll be
    trying to correct what you see as bugs, when in fact it is you (or
    rather, your work) that is at fault.

    Mike

    --
    Michael Winter
    Michael Winter, Sep 21, 2005
  13. Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> skrev i
    > meddelandet news:LC5Ye.87756$...
    >
    >> That page has nothing like the /index.php page.

    > Are you sure about that?

    Well, yes.

    >> You don't understand the concept of inline floats, do you?

    > I suppose that you are referring to visual formatting

    What else would a float do to an image, except visually float it
    within the content?

    >> I said the left and right columns. The left columns contains all
    >> those language buttons, or other orange buttons. That column is
    >> too wide.

    > Not any more. Which is the right column for you? Do you mean the
    > right column of the table with the description?

    No, I meant the buzzard picture, with (note my screen shot) seems to
    be a right column - because it is forcing the table to the center of
    the window.

    >> And that picture of the buzzard takes up way too much space.

    No response?

    >> We all will, but you seem to not learn from advice given here.

    > No, you do not seem to accept that I sometimes share other
    > people´s opinions and other times not. And it is not true either
    > that I have not used any advice which I have read here. But it is
    > also true that there are people writing here who have different
    > opinions on the same subject. Take this example about pictures and
    > descriptions of these pictures which could be regarded as data. I
    > think that there had been someone else here before who had this
    > opinion.

    Ah well ...

    >> It is no security problem to use multiple browsers.

    > I was referring to security problems concerning the use of credit
    > cards on other websites!

    Yes, security where credit cards are used is important. It is NOT
    necessary to serve your regular pages as https, only when you get to
    the page where a customer would enter the CC number and other personal
    data. Got it?

    > Now, on the one hand, it is better to check up the page in several
    > browsers but on the other hand, why should I check up first the
    > browsers which a lower number of users use?

    Others have explained this. IE is a five year old broken browser. If
    your page works well in Firefox, and probably Opera, it will probably
    work in IE. The process doesn't work the other way round.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 21, 2005
  14. "Jafar As-Sadiq Calley" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 03:38:52 +0000, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >
    > > Can I upload several browsers in the same computer without getting any
    > > problems?

    > Yes. I have 8 :)

    They probably require a lot of space in the hard disk, don´t they?

    > > Which text browser do you recommend?

    > Text browser? I'd suggest lynx or w3m. I don't know if they have windows
    > version or not though.

    Is it freeware?

    (
    > > for example Opera) which are not free of charge but still useful

    > <snip>
    >
    > Firefox, Mozilla, and Opera are free of charge. I usually design for
    > the standards compliant firefox and mozilla and usually, the rest of the
    > browsers play fair when rendering my pages faithfully. If you design your
    > pages around IE, you are going to run into troubles with the rest. Fact of
    > life ;)

    Just a simple question:
    What would you do if you found out that most users visiting your website use
    IE?

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 21, 2005
  15. "Kim André Akerø" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Jafar As-Sadiq Calley wrote:
    >
    > > On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 03:38:52 +0000, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > >
    > > > Which text browser do you recommend?

    > > Text browser? I'd suggest lynx or w3m. I don't know if they have
    > > windows version or not though.

    > Windows version of Lynx available here:
    > http://lynx.isc.org/current/#w32
    > http://www.jim.spath.com/lynx_win32/

    Ok. I am going to have a look at it afterwards.

    > The Windows port of w3m requires Cygwin:
    > http://www.w3m.org/download/binary/
    > http://www.cygwin.com/

    Is cygwin another text editor?

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 21, 2005
  16. "Michael Winter" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > On 21/09/2005 06:03, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >
    > > "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> skrev i
    > > meddelandet news:RO5Ye.146734$...
    > >
    > >> Now, on the one hand, it is better to check up the page in several
    > >> browsers but on the other hand, why should I check up first the
    > >> browsers which a lower number of users use?

    > > which have a lower number of users rather than with IE which has a
    > > higher and afterwards check up the others?

    > These other browsers provide an accurate picture of what your site looks
    > like. They reflect what your markup and style sheets suggest unlike IE
    > which, for various reasons, may not.
    >
    > If you approach development from the perspective that IE is right, and
    > others are wrong, you will make life very hard for yourself.

    I did not mean that!!
    I just meant that I concentrate more on the browser which most of my users
    use.
    Perhaps, I could not validate the CSS stylesheet or I forgot to do that.
    Perhaps, it depended on https.
    Still, I think that https is useful for other reasons
    ( I do not want to discuss about them again and again..)
    Also, I assumed that browsers should comply with the requirements of
    validation so that the pages which validate can be displayed by browsers.
    Is that the case?
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 21, 2005
  17. "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> skrev i
    > > meddelandet news:LC5Ye.87756$...
    > >
    > >> That page has nothing like the /index.php page.

    > > Are you sure about that?

    > Well, yes.
    >
    > >> You don't understand the concept of inline floats, do you?

    > > I suppose that you are referring to visual formatting

    > What else would a float do to an image, except visually float it
    > within the content?
    >
    > >> I said the left and right columns. The left columns contains all
    > >> those language buttons, or other orange buttons. That column is
    > >> too wide.

    > > Not any more. Which is the right column for you? Do you mean the
    > > right column of the table with the description?

    > No, I meant the buzzard picture, with (note my screen shot) seems to
    > be a right column - because it is forcing the table to the center of
    > the window.

    The buzzard picture should be on the top right, in fact.
    And the table should be to the center!

    [cut]
    > > I was referring to security problems concerning the use of credit
    > > cards on other websites!

    > Yes, security where credit cards are used is important. It is NOT
    > necessary to serve your regular pages as https, only when you get to
    > the page where a customer would enter the CC number and other personal
    > data. Got it?
    >
    > > Now, on the one hand, it is better to check up the page in several
    > > browsers but on the other hand, why should I check up first the
    > > browsers which a lower number of users use?

    > Others have explained this. IE is a five year old broken browser. If
    > your page works well in Firefox, and probably Opera, it will probably
    > work in IE. The process doesn't work the other way round.

    However, the largest majority of my users seem to use IE.
    Therefore, I think it is better to check up IE´s compatibility, first.
    Afterwards I could do things better by checking up the other browsers as
    well.

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 21, 2005
  18. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Wÿrm Guest

    "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> kirjoitti
    viestissä:FseYe.34350$...

    <snip>

    > What would you do if you found out that most users visiting your website
    > use
    > IE?

    Dunno about other people, but roughly 86% (number might be different in
    reality because browser stats are not most reliable numbers) of my visitors
    (pages are aimed for people that are very far from being tech savvy people)
    are using IE.

    I design pages using FireFox and Opera as main browser to check out how
    layout etc. works because they follow CSS etc. much more closely than IE and
    it's endless "bugs" on rendering engine.

    After layout is pretty much done, I look it in IE. If layout has problems in
    IE, I'll tweak it a bit so it works in IE too. I find it much faster to get
    layout work this way than testing in IE first, and only after whole page
    done testing in FireFox and Opera trying figure out why something ain't
    looking proper.

    IE is ridden with all kinds rendering bugs so it's much harder to find
    problems if "rely" on what page looks on IE and then afterwards start tweak
    pages to work for other browsers...

    Then again that's just how I do things :)

    <snip>
    Wÿrm, Sep 21, 2005
  19. "Wÿrm" <> skrev i meddelandet

    > "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> kirjoitti
    > viestissä:FseYe.34350$...
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > > What would you do if you found out that most users visiting your website
    > > use
    > > IE?

    > Dunno about other people, but roughly 86% (number might be different in
    > reality because browser stats are not most reliable numbers) of my

    visitors
    > (pages are aimed for people that are very far from being tech savvy

    people)
    > are using IE.
    >
    > I design pages using FireFox and Opera as main browser to check out how
    > layout etc. works because they follow CSS etc. much more closely than IE

    and
    > it's endless "bugs" on rendering engine.
    >
    > After layout is pretty much done, I look it in IE. If layout has problems

    in
    > IE, I'll tweak it a bit so it works in IE too. I find it much faster to

    get
    > layout work this way than testing in IE first, and only after whole page
    > done testing in FireFox and Opera trying figure out why something ain't
    > looking proper.
    >
    > IE is ridden with all kinds rendering bugs so it's much harder to find
    > problems if "rely" on what page looks on IE and then afterwards start

    tweak
    > pages to work for other browsers...
    >
    > Then again that's just how I do things :)
    >
    > <snip>

    I agree on most things which you have written above.
    The only thing is that I have to test first whether I can load so many
    browsers on the computers I use.
    Again, only one new issue has been discussed today, that is that only IE
    renders the homepage.
    What about the other pages?
    I am not going to fix all the problems concerning my website in a short time
    but it can be useful to get to know them now.

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 21, 2005
  20. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Wÿrm Guest

    "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> kirjoitti
    viestissä:vTeYe.34359$...

    <snip>

    > The only thing is that I have to test first whether I can load so many
    > browsers on the computers I use.

    And why is this a problem?

    Even my old 150 mhz, computer can handle more than just IE. Not that I use
    that computer for anything currently.

    It's not a HD space issue unless you're having like 200MB HD or something,
    and I very much doubt that to be case. Browsers do not take gigabytes of HD
    space you know. And they can happily co-exist with IE. So only "issue" here
    is you not installing other browsers. It's much easier to install other
    browsers and look pages yourself on them 1st, than go on ask others
    everytime you do a change and hope it fixes something.

    <snip>
    Wÿrm, Sep 21, 2005