Re: Please provide a better explanation of tuples and dictionaries

Discussion in 'Python' started by Mitya Sirenef, Jan 30, 2013.

  1. On 01/29/2013 09:55 PM, Daniel W. Rouse Jr. wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have recently started learning Python (2.7.3) but need a better

    explanation of how to use tuples and dictionaries.

    > I am currently using "Learning Python" by Mark Lutz and David Ascher,

    published by O'Reilly (ISBN 1-56592-464-9)--but I find the explanations
    insufficient and the number of examples to be sparse. I do understand
    some ANSI C programming in addition to Python (and the book often
    wanders off into a comparison of C and Python in its numerous
    footnotes), but I need a better real-world example of how tuples and
    dictionaries are being used in actual Python code.

    > Any recommendations of a better book that doesn't try to write such

    compact and clever code for a learning book? Or, can an anyone provide
    an example of more than a three-line example of a tuple or dictionary?

    > The purpose of my learning Python in this case is not for enterprise

    level or web-based application level testing at this point. I initially
    intend to use it for Software QA Test Automation purposes.

    > Thanks in advance for any replies.

    It's not finished yet, but you may find my text-movie tutorial on
    dicts useful:

    http://lightbird.net/larks/tmovies/dicts.html

    -m

    Idleness is the mother of psychology. Friedrich Nietzsche

    Mitya Sirenef, Jan 30, 2013