Re: Popular Python projects with lots of pure Python code

Discussion in 'Python' started by Mike C. Fletcher, Aug 10, 2004.

  1. Brett C. wrote:

    > So I am trying to come up with a list of projects I can use to get my
    > stats from. the stdlib is a no-brainer. Also plan to use Docutils.
    > But beyond those most of the big Python projects I can think of have a
    > ton of C code which is of no use to me. I don't need to be able to
    > run it, just going to be compiling to .py files.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    First that spring to mind:

    * Zope3 (198,000 lines of Python code in the checkout I'm counting)
    * Twisted (129,000 lines of code in the version I have, tends toward
    very idiomatic usage due to the asynchronous nature, so be aware
    of potential skew in the results)
    * Mailman (don't have it installed to check)
    * Boa Constructor (63,000 lines, with some of that auto-generated IIRC)
    * PythonCard (52,000 lines)
    * PySNMP (14,000 lines)

    And from my own projects:

    * OpenGLContext with the (included) vrml and (separate) TTFQuery
    dependencies (34,000 lines of Python code).
    * PyTable including the BasicProperty and BasicTypes dependencies
    (14,000 lines of Python code), but this one probably falls down on
    the "popular" grounds

    Some of the other web frameworks may have reached the 100,000+ range,
    but I don't have them installed to check. I would guess that some of
    the other GUI environments might be useful, e.g. Pythonwin (not
    including the win32 framework stuff) is 17,000 lines. Other GUI
    environments are going to be larger I'd guess, but they'll also
    potentially be more of a mix of C and Python.

    HTH,
    Mike

    Mike C. Fletcher
    Designer, VR Plumber, Coder
    http://www.vrplumber.com
    http://blog.vrplumber.com

    Mike C. Fletcher, Aug 10, 2004

  2. Mike C. Fletcher

    richard Guest

    Mike C. Fletcher wrote:
    > Brett C. wrote:
    >> So I am trying to come up with a list of projects I can use to get my
    >> stats from. the stdlib is a no-brainer. Also plan to use Docutils.
    >> But beyond those most of the big Python projects I can think of have a
    >> ton of C code which is of no use to me. I don't need to be able to
    >> run it, just going to be compiling to .py files.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?

    Missed the OP, but there's a wiki page for this:

    http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/LargePythonProjects

    but it's obviously not been advertised well, as it's practically empty ;)

    Richard

    richard, Aug 10, 2004