Re: Position fixed and IE7

Discussion in 'HTML' started by David Mark, Aug 9, 2008.

  1. David Mark

    David Mark Guest

    On Aug 9, 11:40 am, sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote:
    > I have an app where position fixed works for FF and IE6 (with
    > workaround).  On IE7, the popup doesn't stay fixed in one place.

    Your IE6 workaround is a CSS expression, which I would recommend
    against (use a real script instead.) IE7 doesn't need a workaround
    unless your page is in quirks mode.
    David Mark, Aug 9, 2008

  2. David Mark wrote:
    > On Aug 9, 11:40 am, sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote:
    >> I have an app where position fixed works for FF and IE6 (with
    >> workaround). On IE7, the popup doesn't stay fixed in one place.

    > Your IE6 workaround is a CSS expression, which I would recommend
    > against (use a real script instead.)

    IBTD. A "real script" could never be as responsive.

    > IE7 doesn't need a workaround unless your page is in quirks mode.

    Correct in this case. Therefore, this workaround needs to be marked
    IE < 7 only:

    <!--[if lt IE 7]>
    /* workaround */
    <![endif]-->

    PointedEars
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Aug 9, 2008

  3. David Mark

    David Mark Guest

    On Aug 9, 3:23 pm, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <>
    wrote:
    > David Mark wrote:
    > > On Aug 9, 11:40 am, sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote:
    > >> I have an app where position fixed works for FF and IE6 (with
    > >> workaround).  On IE7, the popup doesn't stay fixed in one place.

    > > Your IE6 workaround is a CSS expression, which I would recommend
    > > against (use a real script instead.)

    > IBTD.  A "real script" could never be as responsive.

    But a real script would not be evaluated every time you move the
    mouse. CSS expressions are bad news. Do not use them.

    > > IE7 doesn't need a workaround unless your page is in quirks mode.

    > Correct in this case.  Therefore, this workaround needs to be marked
    > IE < 7 only:
    >
    >   <!--[if lt IE 7]>
    >     /* workaround */
    >   <![endif]-->

    As long as the page is not rendered in quirks mode.
    David Mark, Aug 9, 2008