Re: Possible project - Python mail proxy to do greylisting, etc.

Discussion in 'Python' started by Richie Hindle, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. Hi Evan,

    > I'm toying with the idea of learning Twisted by writing a simple SMTP
    > proxy that only deals with early connection events, before DATA. It
    > would be an MTA-independent way to do greylisting, tarpitting, smarter
    > HELO analysis, things like that.
    >
    > Does anyone know of an existing project like this *in Python*? (I know
    > about GNU SAUCE).

    Spambayes (a Python Bayesian spam filter, see www.spambayes.org) has a
    Python SMTP proxy - you can train it by sending email messages to special
    addresses. Training messages are not forwarded to the real SMTP server,
    while non-training messages are passed straight though. It runs on top of
    the Python asyncore/asynchat libraries rather than Twisted, but at the
    lowest level <flamebait level='outrageous'>async and Twisted are basically
    the same thing</flamebait>.

    --
    Richie Hindle
    Richie Hindle, Jun 27, 2003