Re: possible useful macros...

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Keith Thompson, May 25, 2012.

  1. "io_x" <> writes:
    > what about these macro?
    >
    > #define MM malloc
    > #define FF free
    > #define ooo cout

    Horribly bad.

    io_x, take a moment to consider the fact that *nobody* has had anything
    good to say about all those little macros you love to use. I won't
    repeat the reasons; they've been explained to you before. How likely is
    it that you're right and the unanimous opinion of programmers with
    centuries of collective experience is wrong?

    If you want to program your editor to insert "malloc" when you type
    "MM", that's great. If your "MM" macro appears in source code, that's
    the end of my interest in reading it.

    Think about it.

    Will write code for food.

    Keith Thompson, May 25, 2012

  2. In article <>,
    Keith Thompson <> wrote:
    >io_x, take a moment to consider the fact that *nobody* has had anything
    >good to say about all those little macros you love to use. I won't
    >repeat the reasons; they've been explained to you before. How likely is
    >it that you're right and the unanimous opinion of programmers with
    >centuries of collective experience is wrong?

    I don't know about that. Copernicus faced similar odds.

    Yet, I think we can now agree that he was right and all those people with
    centuries of collective experience and the full force and power of the state
    at their disposal - were wrong.

    --
    The motto of the GOP "base": You can't be a billionaire, but at least you
    can vote like one.

    Kenny McCormack, May 25, 2012

  3. Keith Thompson

    Guest

    On Friday, May 25, 2012 7:54:11 PM UTC+1, Keith Thompson wrote:
    > "io_x" <> writes:

    > > what about these macro?
    > >
    > > #define MM malloc
    > > #define FF free
    > > #define ooo cout

    > Horribly bad.
    >
    > io_x, take a moment to consider the fact that *nobody* has had anything
    > good to say about all those little macros you love to use.

    there comes a point when areguing is pointless. If an argument degenerates to repetition of previously iterated positions then invoke the rule from chess and declare a stalemate. I virtually-plonked io_x some time ago. If he says something vaguely sensible (which he does sometimes) then I'll respond.. His silly macros and wads of assembler I just ignore.

    > I won't
    > repeat the reasons; they've been explained to you before. How likely is
    > it that you're right and the unanimous opinion of programmers with
    > centuries of collective experience is wrong?
    >
    > If you want to program your editor to insert "malloc" when you type
    > "MM", that's great. If your "MM" macro appears in source code, that's
    > the end of my interest in reading it.

    ditto

    , May 26, 2012
  4. Keith Thompson

    Guest

    On Friday, May 25, 2012 10:35:19 PM UTC+1, Kenny McCormack wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Keith Thompson <> wrote:

    > >io_x, take a moment to consider the fact that *nobody* has had anything
    > >good to say about all those little macros you love to use. I won't
    > >repeat the reasons; they've been explained to you before. How likely is
    > >it that you're right and the unanimous opinion of programmers with
    > >centuries of collective experience is wrong?

    > I don't know about that. Copernicus faced similar odds.

    "they laughed at Galileo- they also laughed at Bozo the Clown"

    > Yet, I think we can now agree that he was right and all those people with
    > centuries of collective experience and the full force and power of the state
    > at their disposal - were wrong.

    yes but most apparently crazy views actually turn out to *be* crazy.

    I knew someone who believed you could sharpen a razor blade by placing it under a model of the great pyramid over night.

    And someone else who was going to power a car by burning the hydrogen derived from electrolysing water- and thought he'd got a source of free energy.

    , May 26, 2012
  5. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    >On Friday, May 25, 2012 10:35:19 PM UTC+1, Kenny McCormack wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> Keith Thompson <> wrote:

    >> >io_x, take a moment to consider the fact that *nobody* has had anything
    >> >good to say about all those little macros you love to use. I won't
    >> >repeat the reasons; they've been explained to you before. How likely is
    >> >it that you're right and the unanimous opinion of programmers with
    >> >centuries of collective experience is wrong?

    >> I don't know about that. Copernicus faced similar odds.

    >"they laughed at Galileo- they also laughed at Bozo the Clown"

    Yes, that's a good line! (Definitely a keeper)

    It was, in fact, in the back of my mind as I was typing my previous post.

    BTW, there is a name for this error that Keith (frequently) makes.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_the_majority

    --

    Some of the more common characteristics of Asperger syndrome include:

    * Inability to think in abstract ways (eg: puns, jokes, sarcasm, etc)
    * Difficulties in empathising with others
    * Problems with understanding another person's point of view
    * Hampered conversational ability
    * Problems with controlling feelings such as anger, depression
    and anxiety
    * Adherence to routines and schedules, and stress if expected routine
    is disrupted
    * Inability to manage appropriate social conduct
    * Delayed understanding of sexual codes of conduct
    * A narrow field of interests. For example a person with Asperger
    syndrome may focus on learning all there is to know about
    baseball statistics, politics or television shows.
    * Anger and aggression when things do not happen as they want
    * Sensitivity to criticism
    * Eccentricity
    * Behaviour varies from mildly unusual to quite aggressive
    and difficult

    Kenny McCormack, May 26, 2012
  6. writes:
    > On Friday, May 25, 2012 7:54:11 PM UTC+1, Keith Thompson wrote:
    >> "io_x" <> writes:
    >> > what about these macro?
    >> >
    >> > #define MM malloc
    >> > #define FF free
    >> > #define ooo cout

    >> Horribly bad.
    >>
    >> io_x, take a moment to consider the fact that *nobody* has had anything
    >> good to say about all those little macros you love to use.

    > there comes a point when areguing is pointless. If an argument
    > degenerates to repetition of previously iterated positions then invoke
    > the rule from chess and declare a stalemate. I virtually-plonked io_x
    > some time ago. If he says something vaguely sensible (which he does
    > sometimes) then I'll respond. His silly macros and wads of assembler I
    > just ignore.

    [...]

    I don't disagree, and I generally ignore him myself. But every few
    years, if I'm in an overly optimistic mood, I try to reason with the
    unreasonable. It rarely works.

    Will write code for food.

    Keith Thompson, May 28, 2012