Re: Post-synthesis simulation errors at generic map

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by KJ, Jun 13, 2011.

  1. KJ

    KJ Guest

    On Jun 13, 11:49 am, alivingstone <> wrote:
    > I think this may be a common problem for the pros out there...
    >
    > Pre-synthesis simulation works great, but post-synthesis or post-route simulations crash because the testbench is trying to map generics to a synthesized component with no generics. This must come up often -- is there a standard strategy for this? Configuration

    To do this you need to compile and produce a post route simulation
    file for each and every set of generics that you would like to
    simulate. In your case, for each specific combination of HPIXELS,
    VPIXELS and PIXDEPTH that you want to simulate you need to do a new
    build that has that specific setting and then repeat that process for
    each set of settings. Then in the testbench you'll need to select
    (via a generate statement) which specific post-route simulation you
    want to instantiate.

    Kevin Jennings

    KJ, Jun 13, 2011

  2. KJ

    alivingstone Guest

    On Jun 13, 3:38 pm, KJ <> wrote:
    > On Jun 13, 11:49 am, alivingstone <> wrote:
    >
    > > I think this may be a common problem for the pros out there...

    KJ-

    That sounds do-able. Is there a slick way to pass the testbench an
    argument so that it can generate the correct simulation without having
    to manually update the file?

    -Abel

    alivingstone, Jun 14, 2011

  3. KJ

    KJ Guest

    On Jun 14, 5:23 pm, alivingstone <> wrote:
    > On Jun 13, 3:38 pm, KJ <> wrote:> On Jun 13, 11:49 am, alivingstone <> wrote:
    >
    > > > I think this may be a common problem for the pros out there...

    > KJ-
    >
    > That sounds do-able. Is there a slick way to pass the testbench an
    > argument so that it can generate the correct simulation without having
    > to manually update the file?

    Simulators will let you set top level generics. If you're using
    Modelsim, then start it up and type 'vsim' <enter>. That will display
    a dialog box that (among other things) lets you specify top level
    generics. If you consider that slick, then use that method.

    If not, then after you have the generics set up in the dialog box, hit
    return and the resulting command line will be echoed into the
    transcript window and the simulator will be started. Copy and paste
    that command into whatever form you would consider to be slick.

    KJ

    KJ, Jun 15, 2011
  4. KJ

    alivingstone Guest

    On Jun 14, 11:37 pm, KJ <> wrote:

    > > KJ-

    > > That sounds do-able. Is there a slick way to pass the testbench an
    > > argument so that it can generate the correct simulation without having

    Thanks KJ. Looks like I can set a generic string "SimType" and just
    send in the desired simulation type using the -g or -G switch in vsim.

    alivingstone, Jun 15, 2011