Re: POwerpoint

Discussion in 'HTML' started by VanguardLH, Jan 30, 2012.

  1. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    Shirley wrote:

    > Is it possible to link to a powerpoint file in a html page ?
    >
    > Also is it possible to display a powerpoint presentation in a page ?


    As already pointed out, using an <A> tag lets you point to the file on
    your server that you want to offer to your visitors. However, just how
    do you know these visitors will have an app that supports the .ppt file
    format? The link to the file on your site results in the visitor
    downloading the file and then either it will open in an app (if it's
    been assigned as the handler for that filetype) or they'll get a prompt
    asking which program to use to open that file (or the user will just
    download the file and leave it on their hard disk until they later get
    something they can use to view that file).

    So if you're going to push a .ppt file at your visitor, are you also
    going to provide them a link to Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer app to be
    sure your visitor has something so they can actually look at your file?

    MS Powerpoint Viewer
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=13
     
    VanguardLH, Jan 30, 2012
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Jonathan N. Little, Jan 30, 2012
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > VanguardLH wrote:
    >
    >> MS Powerpoint Viewer
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=13

    >
    > Of course that will really help if they are running Linux.


    Of course, if you were really try to help the OP, you would've mentioned
    a Linux variant of some viewer app that can handle .ppt files. But you
    didn't. I offered something. You offered twaddle.
     
    VanguardLH, Jan 31, 2012
    #3
  4. VanguardLH

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 15:24:30 -0600, VanguardLH wrote:

    > Shirley wrote:
    >
    >> Is it possible to link to a powerpoint file in a html page ?
    >>
    >> Also is it possible to display a powerpoint presentation in a page ?

    >
    > As already pointed out, using an <A> tag lets you point to the file on
    > your server that you want to offer to your visitors. However, just how
    > do you know these visitors will have an app that supports the .ppt file
    > format? The link to the file on your site results in the visitor
    > downloading the file and then either it will open in an app (if it's
    > been assigned as the handler for that filetype) or they'll get a prompt
    > asking which program to use to open that file (or the user will just
    > download the file and leave it on their hard disk until they later get
    > something they can use to view that file).
    >
    > So if you're going to push a .ppt file at your visitor, are you also
    > going to provide them a link to Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer app to be
    > sure your visitor has something so they can actually look at your file?
    >
    > MS Powerpoint Viewer
    > http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=13


    Oh my. Captain Paralyzed just got his foot shot off while it was in his
    mouth. He claims that a PPT file is an html file.
     
    richard, Jan 31, 2012
    #4
  5. VanguardLH wrote:
    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >
    >> VanguardLH wrote:
    >>
    >>> MS Powerpoint Viewer
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=13

    >>
    >> Of course that will really help if they are running Linux.

    >
    > Of course, if you were really try to help the OP, you would've mentioned
    > a Linux variant of some viewer app that can handle .ppt files. But you
    > didn't. I offered something. You offered twaddle.


    The main point is that Powerpoint is not a suitable media for display
    within a webpage (the OP's 2nd part). A stand alone link for download is
    better but has limited use requiring the user to have specific software
    to view it as Yucca pointed out.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
     
    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 31, 2012
    #5
  6. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > VanguardLH wrote:
    >> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >>
    >>> VanguardLH wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> MS Powerpoint Viewer
    >>>> http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=13
    >>>
    >>> Of course that will really help if they are running Linux.

    >>
    >> Of course, if you were really try to help the OP, you would've mentioned
    >> a Linux variant of some viewer app that can handle .ppt files. But you
    >> didn't. I offered something. You offered twaddle.

    >
    > The main point is that Powerpoint is not a suitable media for display
    > within a webpage (the OP's 2nd part). A stand alone link for download is
    > better but has limited use requiring the user to have specific software
    > to view it as Yucca pointed out.


    I liked Cryer's suggestion of saving the Powerpoint presentation to HTML
    instead of as a .ppt file. Then anyone visiting his site could view his
    presentation. Rich content requires some special software. PPT limits
    you to Windows solutions (although there may be Linux software that can
    view it). HTML is more widely supported as almost every OS has a web
    browser and most users don't use text-only ones.
     
    VanguardLH, Jan 31, 2012
    #6
  7. VanguardLH wrote:
    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >
    >> VanguardLH wrote:
    >>> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> VanguardLH wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> MS Powerpoint Viewer
    >>>>> http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=13
    >>>>
    >>>> Of course that will really help if they are running Linux.
    >>>
    >>> Of course, if you were really try to help the OP, you would've mentioned
    >>> a Linux variant of some viewer app that can handle .ppt files. But you
    >>> didn't. I offered something. You offered twaddle.

    >>
    >> The main point is that Powerpoint is not a suitable media for display
    >> within a webpage (the OP's 2nd part). A stand alone link for download is
    >> better but has limited use requiring the user to have specific software
    >> to view it as Yucca pointed out.

    >
    > I liked Cryer's suggestion of saving the Powerpoint presentation to HTML
    > instead of as a .ppt file. Then anyone visiting his site could view his
    > presentation. Rich content requires some special software. PPT limits
    > you to Windows solutions (although there may be Linux software that can
    > view it). HTML is more widely supported as almost every OS has a web
    > browser and most users don't use text-only ones.


    I agree. I will add one caveat, MS Office app have a long and infamous
    reputation of creating atrocious HTML. Not only bloated beyond believe
    but broken in a manner that only IE4-6 can wrangle it. (Yes a lot of
    that stuff not breaks IE9). Of course my vote for the All Time Worst
    generator of HTML is MS Publisher!

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
     
    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 31, 2012
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Marc Eggenberger

    Problem with using PowerPoint 2003 ins ASP.NET

    Marc Eggenberger, Jul 14, 2003, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    572
    Marc Eggenberger
    Jul 14, 2003
  2. Kent P. Iler
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    534
    Kent P. Iler
    Sep 18, 2003
  3. Aleksandar Panov
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    512
    Aleksandar Panov
    Dec 3, 2003
  4. Jonathan Trevor
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    473
    Jonathan Trevor
    Feb 23, 2004
  5. Bijoy Naick

    Extracting Powerpoint Charts

    Bijoy Naick, Jan 14, 2005, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    329
    MWells
    Jan 16, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page