Re: pre/post-increment and sequence points (was Re: x=r=y; // With r

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by jameskuyper, Apr 11, 2011.

  1. jameskuyper

    jameskuyper Guest

    On Sunday, April 10, 2011 5:25:50 AM UTC-4, Tim Rentsch wrote:
    > James Kuyper <> writes:

    > > If the standard requires that something be documented, but a given
    > > implementation's documentation documents it incorrectly, then the
    > > correct thing is not documented. Therefore, the behavior that is
    > > supposed to be documented, isn't, and the implementation therefore
    > > fails to conform. Don't expect Tim to accept this argument; he can go
    > > on forever arguing over such issues.

    > Apparently Mr. Kuyper is bothered by being asked if he
    > can offer any facts in support of his opinions. Even
    > so it seems poor form to ignore my questions given in
    > direct response to his postings and then snipe at me
    > off in a response to someone else.

    When monitoring newsgroups from my home machine, I've got a filter set thatfilters out all messages from you. It's not as easy to filter them from mywork machine, which is how I noticed this message.

    I don't have you kill-filed because I consider you a troll; the problem is subtler than that. I've learned though hard experience that we frequently end up in long pointless discussions that only end when I decide not to continue responding. What makes them pointless is the fact that you and I have differing opinions on an issue, and neither of us seems to be able to present an argument that the other considers convincing. I found such conversations to be a very frustrating and annoying waste of time, and I ended up deciding that the best way to end such conversations was at the very beginning, before they have even started. Sorry. If it's any consolation, I have three seperate named filters: "Trolls", and "Tim Rentsch", and "Bill Cunningham", in order to keep track of the fact that not everyone in my kill-file isthere because they're a troll.

    I also try to avoid paying attention to messages other people post in response to yours. However, I'm manifestly less consistent in that regard. All Iwas doing with my comment was warning Spiros about my previous experienceswith you. He's free to disregard my advice; he might find discussion with you more useful than I did.
    jameskuyper, Apr 11, 2011

  2. jameskuyper

    Tim Rentsch Guest

    jameskuyper <> writes:

    > On Sunday, April 10, 2011 5:25:50 AM UTC-4, Tim Rentsch wrote:
    >> James Kuyper <> writes:

    >> > If the standard requires that something be documented, but a given
    >> > implementation's documentation documents it incorrectly, then the
    >> > correct thing is not documented. Therefore, the behavior that is
    >> > supposed to be documented, isn't, and the implementation therefore
    >> > fails to conform. Don't expect Tim to accept this argument; he can go
    >> > on forever arguing over such issues.

    >> Apparently Mr. Kuyper is bothered by being asked if he
    >> can offer any facts in support of his opinions. Even
    >> so it seems poor form to ignore my questions given in
    >> direct response to his postings and then snipe at me
    >> off in a response to someone else.

    > When monitoring newsgroups from my home machine, I've got a filter set
    > that filters out all messages from you. It's not as easy to filter
    > them from my work machine, which is how I noticed this message.
    >
    > I don't have you kill-filed because I consider you a troll; the
    > problem is subtler than that. I've learned though hard experience that
    > we frequently end up in long pointless discussions that only end when
    > I decide not to continue responding. What makes them pointless is the
    > fact that you and I have differing opinions on an issue, and neither
    > of us seems to be able to present an argument that the other considers
    > convincing. I found such conversations to be a very frustrating and
    > annoying waste of time, and I ended up deciding that the best way to
    > end such conversations was at the very beginning, before they have
    > even started. Sorry. If it's any consolation, I have three seperate
    > named filters: "Trolls", and "Tim Rentsch", and "Bill Cunningham", in
    > order to keep track of the fact that not everyone in my kill-file is
    > there because they're a troll.
    >
    > I also try to avoid paying attention to messages other people post in
    > response to yours. However, I'm manifestly less consistent in that
    > regard. All I was doing with my comment was warning Spiros about my
    > previous experiences with you. He's free to disregard my advice; he
    > might find discussion with you more useful than I did.

    If you want to not read my postings, or not respond to them,
    or put me in your killfile, for any reason whatsoever, that's
    completely up to you and all perfectly reasonable.

    If, in addition to that, you want to make disparaging remarks
    about me or my comments -- the internet equivalent of making
    insulting remarks while sticking your fingers in your ears --
    that makes your behavior the more deserving of being lumped
    in with so-called trolls.

    And, if I may suggest, if you would put more effort into trying
    to understand and just explain, and less into trying to convince,
    the results would be better for all concerned.
    Tim Rentsch, Apr 16, 2011