Re: Preventing crap email from google?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Michael Torrie, Oct 20, 2012.

  1. On 10/19/2012 06:43 PM, Mark Lawrence wrote:
    > Good morning/afternoon/evening all,
    >
    > Is there any possibility that we could find a way to prevent the double
    > spaced rubbish that comes from G$ infiltrating this ng/ml? For example,
    > does Python have anybody who works for G$ who could pull a few strings,
    > preferably a Dutch national who has named a quite well known programming
    > language after a humorous BBC television programme?

    I don't know what G$ is, but from your subject, I assume you are
    complaining about posts from gmail users, of which I am one. However my
    messages have never been double-spaced. And I haven't noticed any
    recently either. I just checked and the last dozen or so posts from
    gmail accounts don't appear to have any problems.

    Michael Torrie, Oct 20, 2012

  2. Michael Torrie

    rusi Guest

    On Oct 20, 8:35 am, Michael Torrie <> wrote:
    > On 10/19/2012 06:43 PM, Mark Lawrence wrote:
    >
    > > Good morning/afternoon/evening all,

    > > Is there any possibility that we could find a way to prevent the double
    > > spaced rubbish that comes from G$ infiltrating this ng/ml?  For example,
    > > does Python have anybody who works for G$ who could pull a few strings,
    > > preferably a Dutch national who has named a quite well known programming
    > > language after a humorous BBC television programme?

    > I don't know what G$ is, but from your subject, I assume you are
    > complaining about posts from gmail users, of which I am one.  However my
    > messages have never been double-spaced.  And I haven't noticed any
    > recently either.  I just checked and the last dozen or so posts from
    > gmail accounts don't appear to have any problems.

    Heres something that has worked so far:
    Login to gmail
    Login to googlegroups in another tab
    Logout of gmail
    Reload the groups page -- your name which was on the left corner
    should be replaced by a sign-in
    And a 'wheel'
    The wheel should give you a choice for 'old' (aka non-buggy) interface

    rusi, Oct 20, 2012

  3. Michael Torrie

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    On Sat, 2012-10-20, Michael Torrie wrote:
    > On 10/19/2012 06:43 PM, Mark Lawrence wrote:
    >> Good morning/afternoon/evening all,
    >>
    >> Is there any possibility that we could find a way to prevent the double
    >> spaced rubbish that comes from G$ infiltrating this ng/ml? For example,
    >> does Python have anybody who works for G$ who could pull a few strings,
    >> preferably a Dutch national who has named a quite well known programming
    >> language after a humorous BBC television programme?

    > I don't know what G$ is, but from your subject, I assume you are
    > complaining about posts from gmail users, of which I am one. However my
    > messages have never been double-spaced. And I haven't noticed any
    > recently either. I just checked and the last dozen or so posts from
    > gmail accounts don't appear to have any problems.

    He's probably talking about Google Groups and its "integration" with
    Usenet. (I'm seeing this as the comp.lang.python newsgroup, via a real
    news reader and a real Usenet provider. I am vaguely aware that it's
    also a mailing list.)

    Google Groups has a long history of creating broken Usenet postings in
    new and exciting ways. It's at least as bad as MS Outlook Express and
    AOL were in Usenet's past.

    Your own posting (or mail) is almost flawless: correct quoting, and a
    properly formatted response. But you seem to be using gmail and the
    mailing list interface; that's not the technology he's complaining
    about.

    /Jorgen

    --
    // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
    \X/ snipabacken.se> O o .

    Jorgen Grahn, Oct 20, 2012
  4. On 2012-10-20, Michael Torrie <> wrote:
    > On 10/19/2012 06:43 PM, Mark Lawrence wrote:
    >> Good morning/afternoon/evening all,
    >>
    >> Is there any possibility that we could find a way to prevent the double
    >> spaced rubbish that comes from G$ infiltrating this ng/ml? For example,
    >> does Python have anybody who works for G$ who could pull a few strings,
    >> preferably a Dutch national who has named a quite well known programming
    >> language after a humorous BBC television programme?

    > I don't know what G$ is, but from your subject, I assume you are
    > complaining about posts from gmail users, of which I am one.

    Postings from gmail users aren't a problem. Posts made via the
    google-groups web site are a problem, and I plonked them all years and
    years ago...

    --
    Grant

    Grant Edwards, Oct 20, 2012
  5. Michael Torrie

    Walter Hurry Guest

    On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 13:51:35 +1100, Ben Finney wrote:

    > Walter Hurry <> writes:
    >
    >> It is Google bloody Groups which is the problem. I should have plonked
    >> posts from there ages ago, and am about to remedy that omission.

    > What narrowly-defined, precise filter rule should be used for this
    > purpose?

    Depends on how you read the list, I think. In my case, via Usenet
    (comp.lang.python) with Pan, so I shall filter on "googlegroups.com" in
    the Message-ID.

    Walter Hurry, Oct 22, 2012
  6. On 2012-10-22, Walter Hurry <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 13:51:35 +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
    >
    >> Walter Hurry <> writes:
    >>
    >>> It is Google bloody Groups which is the problem. I should have plonked
    >>> posts from there ages ago, and am about to remedy that omission.

    >> What narrowly-defined, precise filter rule should be used for this
    >> purpose?

    > Depends on how you read the list, I think. In my case, via Usenet
    > (comp.lang.python) with Pan, so I shall filter on "googlegroups.com" in
    > the Message-ID.

    Same here. Here's the rule I have in slrn's .score file:

    Score:: =-9999

    --
    Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Where does it go when
    at you flush?

    Grant Edwards, Oct 22, 2012
  7. Michael Torrie

    HoneyMonster Guest

    On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 14:21:36 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:

    > On 2012-10-22, Walter Hurry <> wrote:

    >>> What narrowly-defined, precise filter rule should be used for this
    >>> purpose?

    >> Depends on how you read the list, I think. In my case, via Usenet
    >> (comp.lang.python) with Pan, so I shall filter on "googlegroups.com" in
    >> the Message-ID.

    > Same here. Here's the rule I have in slrn's .score file:
    >
    > Score:: =-9999

    Actually I don't think the asterisk is necessay*. OTOH, I noticed that
    some are "To: ", so I put in a second
    rule:

    Score:: =-9999

    Score:: =-9999
    To: googlegroups\.com

    * Or maybe the sytax differs slightly between slrn and Pan.

    HoneyMonster, Oct 22, 2012
  8. Michael Torrie

    Walter Hurry Guest

    On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 14:35:58 +0000, HoneyMonster wrote:

    <snip>

    Sorry about the moniker on the above. I used it by accident - it's one I
    reserve for junk trapping.

    Walter Hurry, Oct 22, 2012
  9. On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 14:21:36 +0000 (UTC)
    Grant Edwards <> wrote:
    > Same here. Here's the rule I have in slrn's .score file:

    Here is the procmail one that I use:

    :0 Hir
    * ^List-Id:.*python-list.python.org
    * ^From:.*@gmail.com
    * ^Newsgroups:
    /dev/null

    This still allows people using a gmail account to post to the mailing
    list through.

    --
    D'Arcy J.M. Cain <> | Democracy is three wolves
    IM:

    D'Arcy J.M. Cain, Oct 22, 2012