RE: Print to Windows default Printer

Discussion in 'Python' started by Tim Golden, Jan 20, 2005.

  1. Tim Golden

    Tim Golden Guest

    [Samantha]
    | The printer is on LPT1, but I sure can't get the temp file to
    | print for some
    | reason.
    | I am using Windows XP SP2.

    i'm afraid I have to step out here (metaphorically speaking):
    I'm using Win2K and have no access to XP boxes. The technique
    works fine here; it may be that either they've removed the
    functionality under XP, or that there's some security
    context which is preventing you from accessing the port.

    Can anyone else try a "PRINT blah" or a "COPY blah LPT1:"
    on XP SP2?

    TJG

    http://www.star.net.uk

    Tim Golden, Jan 20, 2005

  2. Tim Golden

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Tim Golden wrote:
    > [Samantha]
    > | The printer is on LPT1, but I sure can't get the temp file to
    > | print for some
    > | reason.
    > | I am using Windows XP SP2.
    >
    > i'm afraid I have to step out here (metaphorically speaking):
    > I'm using Win2K and have no access to XP boxes. The technique
    > works fine here; it may be that either they've removed the
    > functionality under XP, or that there's some security
    > context which is preventing you from accessing the port.
    >
    > Can anyone else try a "PRINT blah" or a "COPY blah LPT1:"
    > on XP SP2?

    Works fine here. That is, without having my printer on,
    I can see the job go into the printer control window as
    just another job. One does, of course, have to have the
    printer set up to *be* LPT1, however, and that doesn't
    happen by default unless you select something about
    "print from MSDOS programs" when you set it up, or you
    go into the Properties and make sure you configure it
    properly on the Ports tab...

    -Peter

    Peter Hansen, Jan 20, 2005