Re: Problem building python in virtual machine running centos

Discussion in 'Python' started by Paul Boddie, Apr 25, 2008.

  1. Paul Boddie

    Paul Boddie Guest

    On 25 Apr, 03:05, Alexandre Gillet <> wrote:

    > I am trying to build python-2.4.5 on Centos 5.1, which is a virtual
    > machine running with xen.
    > I am not able to build python. The compilation crash with the following:
    > gcc -pthread -c -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -I.
    > -I./Include -DPy_BUILD_CORE -o Objects/unicodeobject.o
    > Objects/unicodeobject.c
    > In file included from ./Include/Python.h:76,
    > from Objects/unicodeobject.c:39:
    > ./Include/object.h:228: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
    > Please submit a full bug report,
    > See <URL:http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla> for instructions.
    > The bug is not reproducible, so it is likely a hardware or OS problem.
    >
    > Any suggestion of what am I doing wrong?

    You say that the bug is not reproducible, so that means that you can
    sometimes compile Python, or does the crash always happen when
    compiling some file (not necessarily the one mentioned above)? I think
    I've only ever seen a reproducible gcc crash once, and that had
    something to do with a C++ source file which I then split into two and
    was able to compile as these two separate parts. You might want to
    check the gcc version (gcc -v) and to look at bug fixes in any later
    versions. Generally, if you get an internal error in gcc, you aren't
    doing anything wrong yourself.

    Paul
    Paul Boddie, Apr 25, 2008

  2. Paul Boddie

    Paul Melis Guest

    Paul Boddie wrote:
    > On 25 Apr, 03:05, Alexandre Gillet <> wrote:
    >
    >>I am trying to build python-2.4.5 on Centos 5.1, which is a virtual
    >>machine running with xen.
    >>I am not able to build python. The compilation crash with the following:
    >>gcc -pthread -c -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -I.
    >>-I./Include -DPy_BUILD_CORE -o Objects/unicodeobject.o
    >>Objects/unicodeobject.c
    >>In file included from ./Include/Python.h:76,
    >> from Objects/unicodeobject.c:39:
    >>./Include/object.h:228: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
    >>Please submit a full bug report,
    >>with preprocessed source if appropriate.
    >>See <URL:http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla> for instructions.
    >>The bug is not reproducible, so it is likely a hardware or OS problem.
    >>
    >>Any suggestion of what am I doing wrong?

    > You say that the bug is not reproducible, so that means that you can

    "The bug is not reproducible, so it is likely a hardware or OS problem."

    This line is printed by GCC itself, not the OP

    Paul

    Paul Melis, Apr 25, 2008

  3. Paul Boddie

    Paul Boddie Guest

    On 25 Apr, 14:16, Paul Melis <> wrote:

    > "The bug is not reproducible, so it is likely a hardware or OS problem."
    >
    > This line is printed by GCC itself, not the OP

    It's a strange thing for anyone to claim in an error message, though,
    especially if it is reproducible. Perhaps some people have special
    criteria for reproducibility.

    Paul
    Paul Boddie, Apr 25, 2008