Re: Problem in IE while loading Java Applets on Macintosh OS X

Discussion in 'Java' started by Vinu, Dec 15, 2004.

  1. Vinu

    Vinu Guest

    Hi All,

    I am Vinodh from India. I am facing a problem in Macintosh.
    Currently we are testing Oracle based Forms Application using Oracle 9i
    which is entirely based on Applets.

    For invoking that application, we will be given an URL, which
    invokes the instance for starting the oracle, basically being an Oracle
    9i Web Services Application, initally the IE loads the Applet screen
    followed by the application. We need to test it in Safari, Netscape and
    IE. For Safari and Netscape, we downloaded the MRJ 2.2.5 and installed
    the Applet Run Time Java (MRJ). The applicaiton is running smoothly in
    Netscape and Safari.

    Where as in case of IE, the applet is not recognized while loading
    the application. I dont know the exact reason. I think it may be the
    problem of IE, bcoz in preferences settings there is no inclusion of
    MRJ in Java tab. But we enabled all the predefined settings like
    "Alert" and so on...

    Till we are yet into the problem, so thats why i need your
    suggestion in order to solve the problem.

    In case of MAc 9.2 we are testing the application using IE 5.1, in
    that whenever we type the URL in the browser, the status bar says that
    "Applet-Instance Started".... "Contacting the Server..." and finally it
    says..."Applet - Error - Closing...". Also the application is not
    viewing in the browser.

    Awaiting for your solution...
    Vinodh

    Vinu, Dec 15, 2004

  2. On 14 Dec 2004 23:34:11 -0800, Vinu wrote:

    > ...problem in Macintosh.
    > Currently we are testing Oracle based Forms Application using Oracle 9i
    > which is entirely based on Applets.

    URL?

    > Where as in case of IE, the applet is not recognized ..

    <dripping with sarcasm>
    A problem between IE and Java? That is unusual!
    </dripping with sarcasm>

    >..while loading the application. I dont know the exact reason.

    That is where the debugging begins.
    [1] It would be the line immediately after ..

    System.out.println("We got to here!" );

    [2] Stacktraces.. what are they?
    <http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#exact>
    <http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#stacktrace>

    >...I think it may be the problem of IE, bcoz ..

    'because'. Please avoid these SMS style abbreviations,
    this is not a 'text message'.

    >..in preferences settings there is no inclusion of
    > MRJ in Java tab.

    Find out what Java version the browser is using.
    <http://www.physci.org/pc/property.jsp?prop=java.version+java.vendor>

    > Awaiting for your solution...

    Do not hold your breath Vinodh.

    This is a discussion group, where you get comments and responses
    as, when and *if* the other contributors feel like it.
    'Awaiting solution' type comments are more appropriate to a
    'help-desk', where you come to get your questions answered.

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Dec 15, 2004

  3. In article <>,
    "Vinu" <> wrote:

    >:Hi All,
    >:
    >:I am Vinodh from India. I am facing a problem in Macintosh.
    >:Currently we are testing Oracle based Forms Application using Oracle 9i
    >:which is entirely based on Applets.
    >:
    >:For invoking that application, we will be given an URL, which
    >:invokes the instance for starting the oracle, basically being an Oracle
    >:9i Web Services Application, initally the IE loads the Applet screen
    >:followed by the application. We need to test it in Safari, Netscape and
    >:IE. For Safari and Netscape, we downloaded the MRJ 2.2.5 and installed
    >:the Applet Run Time Java (MRJ). The applicaiton is running smoothly in
    >:Netscape and Safari.
    >:
    >:Where as in case of IE, the applet is not recognized while loading
    >:the application. I dont know the exact reason. I think it may be the
    >:problem of IE, bcoz in preferences settings there is no inclusion of
    >:MRJ in Java tab. But we enabled all the predefined settings like
    >:"Alert" and so on...
    >:
    >:
    >:Till we are yet into the problem, so thats why i need your
    >:suggestion in order to solve the problem.
    >:
    >:In case of MAc 9.2 we are testing the application using IE 5.1, in
    >:that whenever we type the URL in the browser, the status bar says that
    >:"Applet-Instance Started".... "Contacting the Server..." and finally it
    >:says..."Applet - Error - Closing...". Also the application is not
    >:viewing in the browser.
    >:
    >:Awaiting for your solution...
    >:Vinodh

    The reply from Andrew will help you clarify your problem. But you've
    got some other troubles going on here as well.

    Safari is available ONLY for Mac OS X. The MRJ 2.2.5 to which you refer
    does NOT install in OS X, therefore it has no bearing on Safari. Just
    what exactly is it you're trying to do?

    In Mac OS 9.2 with MRJ 2.2.5, you can only do Java up to 1.1.8. Nothing
    newer is supported, nor will it ever be. If you have an Oracle 9i
    application, you probably should not be trying to make it work for
    anyone using any Mac OS version before 10.2. Better still, go to 10.3
    with the latest Java 1.4.2 Update applied.

    In Mac OS X, the ONLY available web browser that uses the installed Java
    environment is Safari. If you want to enable Netscape to use it, you
    need to add a plug-in for that. And IE on OS X is no longer being
    developed -- it's dead.
    --
    Steve W. Jackson
    Montgomery, Alabama