Re: problem updating(run) to python2.2

Discussion in 'Python' started by Peter van Kampen, Aug 8, 2003.

  1. In article <>, grid wrote:
    > i have Debian,
    > i have python2.1 and when installing python2.2, i run "$/python ",but pc
    > run's python2.1.How can i overcome this problem?
    >
    > thanks

    $python2.2

    (on woody)

    Hth,

    PterK

    --
    Peter van Kampen
    pterk -- at -- datatailors.com

    Peter van Kampen, Aug 8, 2003

  2. Peter van Kampen

    John J. Lee Guest

    Peter van Kampen <4all.nl> writes:

    > In article <>, grid wrote:
    > > i have Debian,
    > > i have python2.1 and when installing python2.2, i run "$/python ",but pc
    > > run's python2.1.How can i overcome this problem?
    > >
    > > thanks
    > >

    > $python2.2
    >
    > (on woody)

    /usr/bin/python on Debian is a link to the latest version of Python
    installed from a .deb. IIRC, the .debs makes a soft link from
    /usr/bin/python, and the Python source tarball makes a hard link
    /usr/local/bin/python.

    So if you want 'python' to mean something different, you could just rm
    /usr/bin/python, then re-link to whichever version you want to run.
    Watch out -- /usr/local/bin may be ahead of /usr/bin in your PATH, and
    if you installed your 2.2 from the Python source tarball rather than a
    ..deb, you may have a /usr/local/bin/python too.

    ls -i is useful to tell if two files are really hard links to the same
    underlying file. ls -l on my system shows the target of soft links.

    John

    John J. Lee, Aug 9, 2003