RE: problem uploading ZIP file tp PyPI

Discussion in 'Python' started by Tony Meyer, May 20, 2005.

  1. Tony Meyer

    Tony Meyer Guest

    >>> Oh, so even without --format, a ZIP source dist file is produced
    >>> anyway? If this is the case, please file a bug against PyPI.

    >> How is this a bug? sdist is meant to produce a zip file on
    >> Windows if --format isn't used. If "upload" overrides this for some
    >> reason, then the documentation should say so (and, IMO, it would be a
    >> mistake for that to be the case).

    > It's a bug against PyPI, not distutils.

    Did you mean that the bug is that PyPI won't accept a zipped source
    distribution? To me, your message read like it was saying that (distutils)
    producing a zip source distribution file without --format was a bug.

    So (if the former is what you meant) would a workaround for now be to do
    something like:

    setup.py sdist --format=gztar upload

    ?

    =Tony.Meyer

    Tony Meyer, May 20, 2005

  2. Tony Meyer

    John Machin Guest

    On Fri, 20 May 2005 11:28:14 +1200, "Tony Meyer" <>
    wrote:

    >>> How is this a bug? sdist is meant to produce a zip file on
    >>> Windows if --format isn't used. If "upload" overrides this for some
    >>> reason, then the documentation should say so (and, IMO, it would be a
    >>> mistake for that to be the case).

    >> It's a bug against PyPI, not distutils.

    >Did you mean that the bug is that PyPI won't accept a zipped source
    >distribution? To me, your message read like it was saying that (distutils)
    >producing a zip source distribution file without --format was a bug.
    >
    >So (if the former is what you meant) would a workaround for now be to do
    >something like:
    >
    > setup.py sdist --format=gztar upload

    (1) error: command 'tar' failed: No such file or directory

    (2) error: invalid command 'upload'

    FYI, there are a few unreconstructed diehards out here who neither run
    on a *x platform nor run bleeding-edge Python straight out of last
    night's CVS.

    Viz: Python 2.4.1 (#65, Mar 30 2005, 09:13:57) [MSC v.1310 32 bit
    (Intel)] on win32

    John Machin, May 20, 2005

  3. Tony Meyer

    richard Guest

    John Machin wrote:
    > FYI, there are a few unreconstructed diehards out here who neither run
    > on a *x platform nor run bleeding-edge Python straight out of last
    > night's CVS.

    I think you need to pull your head in, mate.

    The bug you discovered in PyPI is plain and simple a bug in its attempts to
    discover whether an uploaded ZIP file was generated by distutils.

    It's a bug. It will get fixed.

    Get over your damn platform paranoia.

    Richard

    richard, May 23, 2005
  4. Tony Meyer

    John Machin Guest

    On Mon, 23 May 2005 15:04:27 +1000, richard
    <> wrote:

    >John Machin wrote:
    >> FYI, there are a few unreconstructed diehards out here who neither run
    >> on a *x platform nor run bleeding-edge Python straight out of last
    >> night's CVS.

    >I think you need to pull your head in, mate.
    >
    >The bug you discovered in PyPI is plain and simple a bug in its attempts to
    >discover whether an uploaded ZIP file was generated by distutils.
    >
    >It's a bug. It will get fixed.
    >
    >Get over your damn platform paranoia.

    That remark was in response to Tony's seemingly *x-centric suggestion
    to use "setup.py --format=gztar" which would have presented some
    difficulties to a Windows-only person. Perhaps I should have festooned
    it with smileys. In any case it was nothing to do with the bug and
    nothing to do with you. I think you need to suck *your* scone in,
    cobber :)

    Cheers,
    John

    John Machin, May 23, 2005