Re: problem with code - and code wariors

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Jukka K. Korpela, Sep 13, 2010.

  1. thedarkman wrote:

    > Stupid doesn't come into it. The word you should use is ignorant.

    Errare humanum est, diabolicum in errore perseverare.

    > And I still cannot see one reason why the Red colour should change
    > there, and only in Firefox.

    You throw grossly malformed data at a browser and you wonder why it does not
    do what you expect? That's common. What's peculiar here is that you refuse
    to learn anything about HTML, yet keep posting to alt.html.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Sep 13, 2010

  2. Jukka K. Korpela

    Mike Duffy Guest

    "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote in

    > ... What's peculiar here is that you refuse to learn
    > anything about HTML, yet keep posting to alt.html.

    It is not a choice between learning nothing about HTML and learning
    everything about HTML.

    He is simply content to spend the minimum amout of time possible to
    achieve results he considers acceptable. After that, he feels he has
    passed the "point of diminishing returns".

    I feel the same way about HTML, Javascript, Web Standards, and many
    similar branches of the art of website design. I am not a professional;
    thus I feel no moral obligation to my employer to learn extra material
    just in order to be better prepared for my next assignment. My website
    (see signature block) is just for fun.

    That being said, I tend to agree with your (unstated) assertion that
    his level of effort at understanding HTML is much too low for anyone to
    spend a lot of time helping him fix a problem which could probably be
    resolved just by running it through an HTML verifier.

    --
    http://pages.videotron.com/duffym/index.htm
    Mike Duffy, Sep 15, 2010

  3. Jukka K. Korpela

    William Gill Guest

    On 9/15/2010 8:00 AM, Mike Duffy wrote:
    > It is not a choice between learning nothing about HTML and learning
    > everything about HTML.
    >
    > He is simply content to spend the minimum amout of time possible to
    > achieve results he considers acceptable. After that, he feels he has
    > passed the "point of diminishing returns".
    >
    > I feel the same way about HTML, Javascript, Web Standards, and many
    > similar branches of the art of website design. I am not a professional;
    > thus I feel no moral obligation to my employer to learn extra material
    > just in order to be better prepared for my next assignment. My website
    > (see signature block) is just for fun.
    >
    > That being said, I tend to agree with your (unstated) assertion that
    > his level of effort at understanding HTML is much too low for anyone to
    > spend a lot of time helping him fix a problem which could probably be
    > resolved just by running it through an HTML verifier.

    All well and good, but by his own admission he is ignorant of Swahili.
    Do you think he would attempt to publish a limerick in Swahili without
    attempting to garner at least modicum of understanding?

    As for "diminishing returns" why would anyone hand code, as he says he
    does, HTML without understanding any of its most basic structure (i.e.
    when and what require closing, block vs inline, what can contain what,
    and so on)? I would venture to guess that almost any WYSIWYG editor
    would provide a greater return on a lesser investment. After all, as
    you state, he isn't interested in "good" markup, only "acceptable" pages.

    I tend to agree with your (unstated) assertion that "HTML, Javascript,
    Web Standards, and many similar branches of the art of website design",
    are not the objective of work (actually the unstated assertion seems to
    be directed at those who do seem to think "the art" is the objective.)
    Though on the one hand, I sometimes chuckle when I see the debates over
    "professional HTML", on the other I realize that as a painter I may
    never have anything displayed in the Louvre, or even qualify to paint my
    neighbor's wall, but I do know how to use a drop-cloth and masking tape
    when I do my own ("just for fun").

    Reminds me of what someone once said about the guitar. It is easy to
    play, poorly. I wonder if there is an HTML equivalent to air-guitar?
    William Gill, Sep 15, 2010
  4. William Gill wrote:

    > Reminds me of what someone once said about the guitar. It is easy to
    > play, poorly. I wonder if there is an HTML equivalent to air-guitar?

    There once was a web site that came from afar;
    Its coding was comparable to an air guitar.
    The darkman said with a twang,
    Of this, I can't get the hang;
    And most of the limericks were far below par!

    --
    -bts
    -If you can't learn to do it well, learn to enjoy doing it badly
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 15, 2010
  5. Jukka K. Korpela

    dorayme Guest

    In article <Xns9DF4517A09978respondinvalidinvali@94.75.214.90>,
    Mike Duffy <> wrote:

    > "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote in
    >
    > > ... What's peculiar here is that you refuse to learn
    > > anything about HTML, yet keep posting to alt.html.
    > >

    > It is not a choice between learning nothing about HTML and learning
    > everything about HTML.
    >
    > He is simply content to spend the minimum amout of time possible to
    > achieve results he considers acceptable. After that, he feels he has
    > passed the "point of diminishing returns".
    >
    > I feel the same way about HTML, Javascript, Web Standards, and many
    > similar branches of the art of website design. I am not a professional;
    > thus I feel no moral obligation to my employer to learn extra material
    > just in order to be better prepared for my next assignment. My website
    > (see signature block) is just for fun.
    >
    > That being said, I tend to agree with your (unstated) assertion that
    > his level of effort at understanding HTML is much too low for anyone to
    > spend a lot of time helping him fix a problem which could probably be
    > resolved just by running it through an HTML verifier.

    Running through an "HTML verifier" is setting the bar a bit too
    low. It would be better to learn nothing about HTML and use a
    page building facility that allows you to know nothing.

    Validation is only one of the probably wise necessary conditions
    for a reasonably acceptable job, there are many many others. If
    you are wanting more than basic style, and few folk don't, very
    basic CSS is another requirement.

    Another one, if any images are to be used, is a basic
    understanding of how to prepare images, e.g. how to prepare GIFs
    and other types of image so they don't look jagged when placed on
    the page.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 15, 2010
  6. Jukka K. Korpela

    Mike Duffy Guest

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in

    > William Gill wrote:
    >
    >> Reminds me of what someone once said about the guitar. It is
    >> easy to play, poorly. I wonder if there is an HTML equivalent to
    >> air-guitar?

    > There once was a web site that came from afar;
    > Its coding was comparable to an air guitar.
    > The darkman said with a twang,
    > Of this, I can't get the hang;
    > And most of the limericks were far below par!

    There once was a web site encoded,
    With methods that soon were outmoded.
    The author it seems,
    Had simplistic dreams.
    To avoid the hard work he forboded.

    --
    http://pages.videotron.com/duffym/index.htm
    Mike Duffy, Sep 15, 2010
  7. Jukka K. Korpela

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 15 Sep 2010, Mike Duffy <> wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in
    >
    >> William Gill wrote:
    >>
    >>> Reminds me of what someone once said about the guitar. It is
    >>> easy to play, poorly. I wonder if there is an HTML equivalent to
    >>> air-guitar?

    >> There once was a web site that came from afar;
    >> Its coding was comparable to an air guitar.
    >> The darkman said with a twang,
    >> Of this, I can't get the hang;
    >> And most of the limericks were far below par!
    >>

    > There once was a web site encoded,
    > With methods that soon were outmoded.
    > The author it seems,
    > Had simplistic dreams.
    > To avoid the hard work he forboded.

    There once was a man from the dark
    Who made a web site as a lark.
    But when a fell error
    Appeared to his terror,
    He simply did mewl, whine, and snark.

    --
    Neredbojias

    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    http://www.neredbojias.net/
    Neredbojias, Sep 16, 2010
  8. Jukka K. Korpela

    Mike Duffy Guest

    Neredbojias <> wrote in

    > There once was a man from the dark
    > Who made a web site as a lark.
    > But when a fell error
    > Appeared to his terror,
    > He simply did mewl, whine, and snark.

    The problem with standards and rules,
    Is not their exposure in schools.
    It's lack of their practice,
    By those who have wracked us,
    With markup code written by fools.
    --
    http://pages.videotron.com/duffym/index.htm
    Mike Duffy, Sep 16, 2010
  9. Ed Mullen wrote:

    > Ok, I haven't even had drink yet ... this is not good!

    Four line limericks? No, that is not good! Get that drink!

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 16, 2010
  10. Jukka K. Korpela

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 15 Sep 2010, Mike Duffy <> wrote:

    > Neredbojias <> wrote in
    >
    >> There once was a man from the dark
    >> Who made a web site as a lark.
    >> But when a fell error
    >> Appeared to his terror,
    >> He simply did mewl, whine, and snark.

    > The problem with standards and rules,
    > Is not their exposure in schools.
    > It's lack of their practice,
    > By those who have wracked us,
    > With markup code written by fools.

    Indeed, I believe you did crack it:
    There's knowledge and people who lack it.
    A man who would wrack us
    Or otherwise jack us
    Should best just go somewhere and whack it.

    --
    Neredbojias

    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    http://www.neredbojias.net/
    Neredbojias, Sep 16, 2010
  11. Jukka K. Korpela

    freemont Guest

    On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 22:50:53 -0700, Ed Jay writ:

    > Mike Duffy wrote:
    >
    >>"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in

    >>> There once was a web site that came from afar; Its coding was
    >>> comparable to an air guitar.
    >>> The darkman said with a twang,
    >>> Of this, I can't get the hang;
    >>> And most of the limericks were far below par!
    >>>

    >>There once was a web site encoded,
    >>With methods that soon were outmoded. The author it seems,
    >>Had simplistic dreams.
    >>To avoid the hard work he forboded.

    > There lives a kook named dark,
    > With sloppy coding did embark,
    > When he got into trouble,
    > He climbed in a bubble,
    > And took us all for a lark.
    >
    > The lesson of the day,
    > Though thought previously learned,
    > If helping is your goal,
    > Then, don't feed the troll!
    > Snark snark (Doesn't rhyme, but I needed a fifth line.)

    I click'd alt dot html,
    And couldn't believe-a the smell
    Of all these bad lim-ricks,
    That reek of old fish dicks
    That sour'd in the arse of a whale.
    --
    â‚ "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    freemont, Sep 17, 2010
  12. Jukka K. Korpela

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 16 Sep 2010, freemont <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 22:50:53 -0700, Ed Jay writ:
    >
    >> Mike Duffy wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in

    >>>There once was a web site encoded,
    >>>With methods that soon were outmoded. The author it seems,
    >>>Had simplistic dreams.
    >>>To avoid the hard work he forboded.

    >> There lives a kook named dark,
    >> With sloppy coding did embark,
    >> When he got into trouble,
    >> He climbed in a bubble,
    >> And took us all for a lark.
    >>
    >> The lesson of the day,
    >> Though thought previously learned,
    >> If helping is your goal,
    >> Then, don't feed the troll!
    >> Snark snark (Doesn't rhyme, but I needed a fifth line.)

    > I click'd alt dot html,
    > And couldn't believe-a the smell
    > Of all these bad lim-ricks,
    > That reek of old fish dicks
    > That sour'd in the arse of a whale.

    Oh, look who's talkin'! Html-smell-whale... Uh, not quite bright
    sprite.

    --
    Neredbojias

    http://www.neredbojias.org/