Re: Profiler for g++ programs

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by user923005, Jun 13, 2009.

  1. user923005

    user923005 Guest

    On Jun 12, 6:11 am, Ioannis Vranos <> wrote:
    > I am new to application programming for Linux. Is there any good (GUI is better) profiler for Linux, except gprof?

    Did you try ddd, which is a Gui for gprof?
    http://www.gnu.org/software/ddd/
    More debuggers are listed at the end of this page.

    IMO, Eclipse + CDT + Intel compiler is hard to beat on Linux, but you
    may not want to use a commercial compiler.
    user923005, Jun 13, 2009

  2. user923005 <> writes:
    > On Jun 12, 6:11 am, Ioannis Vranos <> wrote:
    >> I am new to application programming for Linux. Is there any good
    >> (GUI is better) profiler for Linux, except gprof?

    > Did you try ddd, which is a Gui for gprof?
    > http://www.gnu.org/software/ddd/
    > More debuggers are listed at the end of this page.

    <OT>ddd is a GUI for gdb (and other debuggers), not for gprof.</OT>

    > IMO, Eclipse + CDT + Intel compiler is hard to beat on Linux, but you
    > may not want to use a commercial compiler.

    Nokia
    Keith Thompson, Jun 13, 2009

  3. user923005

    cr88192 Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > user923005 <> writes:
    >
    >> On Jun 12, 6:11 am, Ioannis Vranos <> wrote:
    >>> I am new to application programming for Linux. Is there any good (GUI is
    >>> better) profiler for Linux, except gprof?

    >> Did you try ddd, which is a Gui for gprof?
    >> http://www.gnu.org/software/ddd/
    >> More debuggers are listed at the end of this page.

    > ddd is a gui for gdb amongst others. When did it include graphical
    > support for gprof? Interesting. But ddd is not in itself a profiler.
    >

    >> IMO, Eclipse + CDT + Intel compiler is hard to beat on Linux, but you
    >> may not want to use a commercial compiler.

    > Why use Intel as opposed to gcc?

    I think the idea is that Intel's comiler does a little better at optimizing
    than gcc...

    partly, I think this may be due to the backend, where Intel can focus their
    efforts on a limited number of archs (x86 and x86-64), whereas gcc tries to
    more generically target a much larger number of archs. as such, it is likely
    gcc makes use of fewer special-case optimizations than a compiler more
    specialized for a particular arch, ...

    similarly, it is likely the case that Intel has at their disposal a good
    deal of information related to the deeper innards of the processor, whereas
    gcc's developers are likely faced with much more general info (all which is
    part of the documented instruction set, ...).

    or, at least, these are just a few possibilities...

    however:
    gcc is free, commonly used, and comes with Linux, which probably more than
    justifies its slightly worse code optimization...

    cr88192, Jun 13, 2009
  4. user923005

    user923005 Guest

    On Jun 12, 7:35 pm, Richard <> wrote:
    > user923005 <> writes:
    > > On Jun 12, 6:11 am, Ioannis Vranos <> wrote:
    > >> I am new to application programming for Linux. Is there any good (GUI is better) profiler for Linux, except gprof?

    > > Did you try ddd, which is a Gui for gprof?
    > >http://www.gnu.org/software/ddd/
    > > More debuggers are listed at the end of this page.

    > ddd is a gui for gdb amongst others. When did it include graphical
    > support for gprof? Interesting. But ddd is not in itself a profiler.

    It doesn't. Accidental crosspost to the wrong place too. FCOL on me.

    > > IMO, Eclipse + CDT + Intel compiler is hard to beat on Linux, but you
    > > may not want to use a commercial compiler.

    > Why use Intel as opposed to gcc?

    It has a nice, complete tool set and it makes fast binaries. It's
    free for non-commercial use.

    We tend to use gcc a lot here, since it works on so many platforms and
    so you don't end up wasting as much time porting.
    user923005, Jun 13, 2009
  5. user923005 wrote:

    >> Why use Intel as opposed to gcc?

    > It has a nice, complete tool set and it makes fast binaries. It's
    > free for non-commercial use.

    Intel C++ Professional compiler is free for non-commercial use?

    --
    Ioannis A. Vranos

    C95 / C++03 Developer

    http://www.cpp-software.net