Re: Profiling under Linux

Discussion in 'C++' started by James Kanze, Nov 5, 2009.

  1. James Kanze

    James Kanze Guest

    On Nov 5, 9:59 pm, Ignoramus11615 <ignoramus11...@NOSPAM.
    11615.invalid> wrote:
    > I have a C++ program that is slower than I would like.

    > I would like to use a profiler that would tell me in what
    > functions is it spending the most actual time.

    > gprof seems like an interesting tool, but I would like to know
    > if there are other alternatives.

    Why? Does gprof has some problems that it's not providing the
    information that you need?

    > The issue is that I have a particular program that is slower
    > under Windows than it is under Linux, and I want to know why
    > that is the case.

    So you want to use a profiler under Linux to find out why it is
    slower under Windows. Sounds a bit strange to me. (FWIW:
    Windows is significantly slower than Linux for many operations,
    including file operations---anything involving reading from or
    writing to disk will run slower under Windows.)

    --
    James Kanze

    James Kanze, Nov 5, 2009

  2. James Kanze wrote:

    > So you want to use a profiler under Linux to find out why it is
    > slower under Windows. Sounds a bit strange to me.

    Not to me... "Slow*er*" indicates a comparison between two items. In
    order to find out more about this, you need to compare. Profiling one
    implementation won't tell you why it is slower or faster than the
    other... you need to profile both for this, don't you? :)

    (And it doesn't matter which one is slower...)

    Gerhard

    Gerhard Fiedler, Nov 9, 2009