Re: Programming in C++ for both 32-bit and 64-bit

Discussion in 'C++' started by Ian Collins, Jul 25, 2013.

  1. Ian Collins

    Ian Collins Guest

    Qu0ll wrote:
    > What are the main issues when developing software with C++ which needs to
    > support both 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems?
    >
    > Is C++ code portable across these different architectures?
    >
    > Any special "gotchas" in writing portable C++ code of this nature?

    The only thing that still gets me from time to time are oddities like
    system typedefs (like size_t or ptrdiff_t) changing from long long to
    long in 64 bit builds messing with overloads.

    Don't forget you don't necessarily have to build 64 bit applications on
    a 64 bit platform if you don't need the extra address space. I tend to
    try both 32 and 64 bit builds to see which performs best. Some work
    best as 32 bit, others as 64.

    --
    Ian Collins
    Ian Collins, Jul 25, 2013