Re: Project naming suggestions?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Thomas Dybdahl Ahle, Feb 3, 2008.

  1. On Sun, 2008-02-03 at 10:17 -0800, wrote:
    > I'm considering writing a little interpreter for a python-like
    > language and I'm looking for name suggestions. :)
    >
    > Basically, I don't want to change a whole lot about Python. In fact,
    > I see myself starting with the compiler module from Python 2.5 and
    > building from there.
    >
    > This language would be more or less "Python modulo a few
    > (incompatible) changes, but it'd be recognizable by Python
    > programmers. I'm talking about stuff like "allowing the character '?'
    > in identifier names," and "a better way to express 'for dummy in
    > xrange (n):' when the index isn't needed." I'd also like to
    > implement most of the planned Python 3000 changes.

    Are you really thinking about creating an entire language, simply
    because you don't like 'for dummy in xrange (n):'?

    I hope you know what an extreamly large work that is, and how little we
    need more languages in this category.

    Thomas Dybdahl Ahle, Feb 3, 2008

  2. Thomas Dybdahl Ahle

    Guest

    On Feb 3, 2:37 pm, Thomas Dybdahl Ahle <> wrote:

    > Are you really thinking about creating an entire language, simply
    > because you don't like 'for dummy in xrange (n):'?

    No. I now wish I had posted this before that. :)

    Basically, I want to tweak a programming language and a compiler.
    Python is the language I know best, and it just so happens to have a
    compiler written in Python (the compiler module). It'd be a toy for
    me to play with -- nothing more.
    , Feb 3, 2008

  3. Thomas Dybdahl Ahle

    Robert Kern Guest

    wrote:
    > On Feb 3, 2:37 pm, Thomas Dybdahl Ahle <> wrote:
    >
    >> Are you really thinking about creating an entire language, simply
    >> because you don't like 'for dummy in xrange (n):'?

    > No. I now wish I had posted this before that. :)
    >
    > Basically, I want to tweak a programming language and a compiler.
    > Python is the language I know best, and it just so happens to have a
    > compiler written in Python (the compiler module). It'd be a toy for
    > me to play with -- nothing more.

    You may want to look at EasyExtend as a way to tinker with the language.

    http://www.fiber-space.de/EasyExtend/doc/EE.html

    --
    Robert Kern

    an underlying truth."