Re: Prothon, metaclasses, Zope [Was: A 'Python like' language]

Discussion in 'Python' started by Aahz, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. Aahz

    Aahz Guest

    In article <eAF9c.48978$cx5.17895@fed1read04>,
    Mark Hahn <> wrote:

    >Self defines having the same attribute in two different prototypes
    >illegal. That seemed extremely constraining to me so I went with the
    >Python 2.2 mro solution in Prothon.

    Bad idea. But I won't tell you why until you stop top-posting and
    over-quoting.
    --
    Aahz () <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

    "usenet imitates usenet" --Darkhawk
    Aahz, Apr 1, 2004

  2. Aahz

    Mark Hahn Guest

    Does anyone get anything done around here with all the bitching? I've been
    communicating via email for 30 years and never have I seen such complaining
    about something so silly. If you have anything to contribute to Prothon
    I'll be over in the Prothon lists. We are too busy creating to have
    conversations like this over there.

    You may not be able to tell it, but I'm a nice guy who would really like
    feedback from intelligent knowledgable people like yourself. I just can't
    take this anymore.

    Mark Hahn, Apr 1, 2004

  3. "Mark Hahn" <> wrote in message news:<S7Lac.87628$cx5.10253@fed1read04>...

    Original top posting maintained on purpose:

    > Does anyone get anything done around here with all the bitching? I've been
    > communicating via email for 30 years and never have I seen such complaining
    > about something so silly. If you have anything to contribute to Prothon
    > I'll be over in the Prothon lists. We are too busy creating to have
    > conversations like this over there.
    >
    > You may not be able to tell it, but I'm a nice guy who would really like
    > feedback from intelligent knowledgable people like yourself. I just can't
    > take this anymore.
    >
    > Aahz wrote:
    > > In article <eAF9c.48978$cx5.17895@fed1read04>,
    > > Mark Hahn <> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Self defines having the same attribute in two different prototypes
    > >> illegal. That seemed extremely constraining to me so I went with the
    > >> Python 2.2 mro solution in Prothon.

    > > Bad idea. But I won't tell you why until you stop top-posting and
    > > over-quoting.

    Aahz is probably referring to the fact that Python 2.3 has changed the
    MRO since the 2.2 one was a bad idea. See
    http://www.python.org/2.3/mro.html
    for more. A part for this, Aahz is right in pointing out that you
    cannot get
    the attention of a lot of intelligent knowledgable people on c.l.py
    because
    of your postings habits. Actually this is the reason why I have
    downloaded Prothon yet. It is kinda of a pity, since maybe the idea is
    worth, but it is difficult to give credit to people liking tabs and
    top posting. Those are not
    stupid things IMNSHO.

    Michele Simionato
    Michele Simionato, Apr 1, 2004
  4. Aahz

    Aahz Guest

    In article <>,
    Michele Simionato <> wrote:

    > [...]

    Michele, I just got a mailbox full error when I tried sending you
    e-mail. Please fix.

    Aahz, Apr 1, 2004
  5. Aahz

    Mark Hahn Guest

    > it is difficult to give credit to people liking tabs and

    > top posting.

    Even though I admit to the heinous crime being a "tab-lover", we have
    changed Prothon to accept either tabs or spaces in indents, just not both in
    the same file.

    As far as top-posting, I am trying to improve, it's just hard to change my
    reply style after using it for 30 years without getting any complaints
    before. I feel like I'm in a twilight-zone episode.

    Mark Hahn, Apr 2, 2004
  6. Aahz

    JanC Guest

    "Mark Hahn" <> schreef:

    > As far as top-posting, I am trying to improve, it's just hard to
    > change my reply style after using it for 30 years without getting any
    > complaints before. I feel like I'm in a twilight-zone episode.

    You're still not using OE-QuoteFix... ;-)

    --
    JanC

    JanC, Apr 2, 2004
  7. (Aahz) wrote in message news:<c4h6jh$n9f$>...
    > In article <>,
    > Michele Simionato <> wrote:
    > >
    > > [...]

    > Michele, I just got a mailbox full error when I tried sending you
    > e-mail. Please fix.

    It should work now. My address is mostly
    a span recipient I don't check often. Rea addresses I check every day are
    and

    M.S.
    Michele Simionato, Apr 2, 2004
  8. Aahz

    Aahz Guest

    In article <>,
    Michele Simionato <> wrote:
    > (Aahz) wrote in message news:<c4h6jh$n9f$>...
    >>
    >> Michele, I just got a mailbox full error when I tried sending you
    >> e-mail. Please fix.

    >It should work now. My address is mostly
    >a span recipient I don't check often. Rea addresses I check every day are
    > and

    Then please make those addresses readily available by sticking them in
    your .sig or something. Having a non-replyable address is about as rude
    as top-posting. ;-)

    Aahz, Apr 2, 2004
  9. Aahz

    Max M Guest

    Mark Hahn wrote:

    >>it is difficult to give credit to people liking tabs and

    > As far as top-posting, I am trying to improve, it's just hard to change my
    > reply style after using it for 30 years without getting any complaints
    > before. I feel like I'm in a twilight-zone episode.

    Actually I am too. There is some interresting dynamics going on here.

    Appart from that Brandon guy, I have never experienced such a reaction
    before in this group. I hope it is just a fluke.

    regards Max M
    Max M, Apr 2, 2004
  10. Aahz

    Aahz Guest

    In article <406d55c6$0$206$>,
    Max M <> wrote:
    >Mark Hahn wrote:
    >>
    >> As far as top-posting, I am trying to improve, it's just hard to change my
    >> reply style after using it for 30 years without getting any complaints
    >> before. I feel like I'm in a twilight-zone episode.

    >Actually I am too. There is some interresting dynamics going on here.
    >
    >Appart from that Brandon guy, I have never experienced such a reaction
    >before in this group. I hope it is just a fluke.

    Mark's the first person I recall seeing who was trying to participate in
    a serious discussion and also using top-posting. Also, there are a fair
    number of netiquette snobs here, and when Mark actively rejected the
    arguments against top-posting, people got annoyed. It was similar to
    the reaction you might expect from the following exchange:

    A: <spam>
    B: Please don't post spam, it's not appropriate
    A: Why not? Spam has a number of beneficial qualities....

    I'm always surprised when I find someone who's been active on the Net for
    more than a few years who isn't even aware of how much a hot-button
    top-posting is in some communities.

    Aahz, Apr 2, 2004
  11. (Aahz) wrote in message news:<c4j08n$62h$>...
    > In article <>,
    > Michele Simionato <> wrote:
    > >My address is mostly
    > >a span recipient I don't check often. Rea addresses I check every day are
    > > and

    > Then please make those addresses readily available by sticking them in
    > your .sig or something. Having a non-replyable address is about as rude
    > as top-posting. ;-)

    BTW, I tried to send you a message and got this:

    - These recipients of your message have been processed by the mail
    server:
    ; Failed; 5.1.1 (bad destination mailbox address)

    Remote MTA iris2.directnic.com: SMTP diagnostic: 550 5.7.1 Mail from
    smtp1.libero.it (193.70.192.51) refused (blackholed by
    bl.spamcop.net); Blocked - see
    http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?193.70.192.51

    So it looks like spam is taking control of our lifes and making both
    of us to appear rude :-/

    Michele Simionato
    Michele Simionato, Apr 3, 2004
  12. Aahz

    Aahz Guest

    In article <>,
    Michele Simionato <> wrote:
    > (Aahz) wrote in message news:<c4j08n$62h$>...
    >> In article <>,
    >> Michele Simionato <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>My address is mostly
    >>>a span recipient I don't check often. Rea addresses I check every day are
    >>> and

    >> Then please make those addresses readily available by sticking them in
    >> your .sig or something. Having a non-replyable address is about as rude
    >> as top-posting. ;-)

    >BTW, I tried to send you a message and got this:
    >
    >- These recipients of your message have been processed by the mail
    >server:
    >; Failed; 5.1.1 (bad destination mailbox address)
    >
    >Remote MTA iris2.directnic.com: SMTP diagnostic: 550 5.7.1 Mail from
    >smtp1.libero.it (193.70.192.51) refused (blackholed by
    >bl.spamcop.net); Blocked - see
    >http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?193.70.192.51
    >
    >So it looks like spam is taking control of our lifes and making both
    >of us to appear rude :-/

    Ick. That's odd -- I thought my DNS provider didn't do that kind of
    thing, but I'm guessing they've been under such overload that they had
    to. <sigh> Please forward that message with full headers to
    -- my local spam filters shouldn't trap it.

    Aahz, Apr 3, 2004
  13. In article <c4n35a$7c3$>, Aahz wrote:

    > Ick. That's odd -- I thought my DNS provider didn't do that kind of
    > thing, but I'm guessing they've been under such overload that they had
    > to. <sigh> Please forward that message with full headers to
    > a****y@p***x.com -- my local spam filters shouldn't trap it.

    Just a few words of advice - never post your email address on Usenet unless:

    a) you don't mind getting flooded with spam, or
    b) you obfuscate it in some way

    Especially given the context of this conversation, it made me wince when I
    saw you post a secondary email address in plaintext to get around spam
    problems with your primary one...

    Peace,
    Dave

    --
    ..:[ dave benjamin: ramen/[sp00] -:- spoomusic.com -:- ramenfest.com ]:.
    : please talk to your son or daughter about parametric polymorphism. :
    Dave Benjamin, Apr 5, 2004