    any further investigations into optimisation are purely for fun and
    learning ;)

    Tim Delaney

    Delaney, Timothy (Tim), Aug 8, 2008

  2. Delaney, Timothy (Tim)

    John Krukoff Guest

    On Fri, 2008-08-08 at 12:18 -0500, David C. Ullrich wrote:
    > Curiously <smug grin> g is exactly how I'd planned on doing it
    > before trying anything. The one thing that puzzles me about
    > all the results is why // is so much slower than / inside
    > that Psyco loop.
    >
    > > Tim Delaney

    One possibility for the performance difference, is that as I understand
    it the psyco developer has moved on to working on pypy, and probably
    isn't interested in keeping psyco updated and optimized for new python
    syntax.

    Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but last I heard there's no
    expectation of a python 3.0 compatible version of psyco, either.

    --
    John Krukoff <>
    Land Title Guarantee Company

    John Krukoff, Aug 8, 2008

  3. Delaney, Timothy (Tim)

    Guest

    John Krukoff:
    > One possibility for the performance difference, is that as I understand
    > it the psyco developer has moved on to working on pypy, and probably
    > isn't interested in keeping psyco updated and optimized for new python
    > syntax.
    > Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but last I heard there's no
    > expectation of a python 3.0 compatible version of psyco, either.

    But for me on the short term Python 3 is probably more important than
    pypy, and I'd like to keep using Psyco...

    Bye,
    bearophile

    , Aug 8, 2008
  4. Delaney, Timothy (Tim)

    Paul Boddie Guest

    On 8 Aug, 20:36, John Krukoff <> wrote:

    > One possibility for the performance difference, is that as I understand
    > it the psyco developer has moved on to working on pypy, and probably
    > isn't interested in keeping psyco updated and optimized for new python
    > syntax.

    More here on the current state of play with Psyco:

    http://www.europython.org/Talks and Themes/Abstracts#53

    > Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but last I heard there's no
    > expectation of a python 3.0 compatible version of psyco, either.

    "I doubt it" is what the presentation referenced above says on the
    matter.

    Paul

    Paul Boddie, Aug 13, 2008
  5. Delaney, Timothy (Tim)

    Guest

    On Aug 8, 7:18 pm, "David C. Ullrich" <> wrote:
    > The one thing that puzzles me about
    > all the results is why // is so much slower than / inside
    > that Psyco loop.

    Just an oversight. The optimization about '/' between integers
    was not copied for the case of '//' between integers. Fixed
    in the svn head :)

    Armin

    , Aug 23, 2008