Re: Push Technology?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Lothar Kimmeringer, Jul 22, 2003.

  1. On 21 Jul 2003 15:54:15 -0700, Bob Rivers wrote:

    > Is it possible for a servlet to send data to a browser, even if the
    > browser does't send a request? The idea is to receive data without
    > asking for it.

    If the browser is only capable of HTTP, the answer is no.
    If the client-system is e.g. a WAP 1.2 capable browser it's
    a definitive maybe ;-)

    The only way to implement some "kind" of push is to let the
    servlet keep the connection open to each client indefinetly and
    print out the new lines of the chat all the time. The effect in
    the browser will be that the animated loading image (mostly on
    the upper right side) will never stop, because the page is
    never finished to be loaded.

    AFAIK all HTML-based chat-systems are working that way.

    Regards, Lothar
    --
    Lothar Kimmeringer E-Mail:

    questions!
    Lothar Kimmeringer, Jul 22, 2003

  2. Lothar Kimmeringer

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 01:03:57 +0200, Lothar Kimmeringer
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >If the browser is only capable of HTTP, the answer is no.
    >If the client-system is e.g. a WAP 1.2 capable browser it's
    >a definitive maybe ;-)

    How is it that porn sites manage to pop up dozens of windows on your
    screen? Do they send them all in response to your initial request and
    they all come back in one great lump?

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Jul 22, 2003

  3. Lothar Kimmeringer

    Jon A. Cruz Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > How is it that porn sites manage to pop up dozens of windows on your
    > screen? Do they send them all in response to your initial request and
    > they all come back in one great lump?

    They feed in javascript that opens new windows, each requesting new
    content. All fed from the original HTML requested.
    Jon A. Cruz, Jul 22, 2003
  4. Lothar Kimmeringer

    Ike Guest

    I never get porn sites....hmmmm....what are you doing Jon, Roedy....that
    this is happeneing to only you guys? -Ike

    Ike, Jul 22, 2003
  5. "Ike" <>, Tue, 22 Jul 2003 12:29:59 +0000:

    > I never get porn sites....hmmmm....what are you doing Jon, Roedy....that
    > this is happeneing to only you guys? -Ike

    ROFL He's got to spend the money he earns for his website on something
    else, eh? :p The dozen requests you get is actually very easy to make,
    just dump some javascript code in the <body onload="dosomething()" onunload="dosomething()"> tag
    and you can flood the system with an infinite loop. It's very easy to code.

    dhek bhun kho, Jul 22, 2003
  6. Lothar Kimmeringer

    Chris Smith Guest

    Ike wrote:
    > I never get porn sites....hmmmm....what are you doing Jon, Roedy....that
    > this is happeneing to only you guys? -Ike

    I think it's impossible to post to newsgroups much (at least, without
    address munging) and not get email with porn site advertisements.
    Luckily, I read mail with a browser configured not to do HTML and
    JavaScript, so I just see lots of HTML code, rather than having
    gazillions of porn windows pop up.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation
    Chris Smith, Jul 22, 2003
  7. "Jon A. Cruz" <>, Tue, 22 Jul 2003 19:59:03 -0700:

    > Ike wrote:
    >> I never get porn sites....hmmmm....what are you doing Jon, Roedy....that
    >> this is happeneing to only you guys? -Ike

    > Mainly hitting stale Google links that go to domains that have been
    > taken over by new management.

    Don't worry. It's very human. :p

    --
    real programmers communicate asynchronously..
    dhek bhun kho, Jul 23, 2003
  8. Lothar Kimmeringer

    Josef Garvi Guest

    dhek bhun kho wrote:

    > ROFL He's got to spend the money he earns for his website on something
    > else, eh? :p The dozen requests you get is actually very easy to make,
    > just dump some javascript code in the <body onload="dosomething()" onunload="dosomething()"> tag
    > and you can flood the system with an infinite loop. It's very easy to code.

    Use Mozilla as your web browser, and you'll be spared from all such
    undesired popups!

    --
    Josef Garvi

    "Reversing desertification through drough tolerant trees"
    http://www.eden-foundation.org/

    new income - better environment - more food - less poverty
    Josef Garvi, Jul 29, 2003